Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

radamx
03-24-2005, 01:02 PM
OK I am A Jeep know nothing.
I just bought a 90 jeep wrangler with a 4cly and 5 speed
It is bone stock with a new engine.
The question I have is what did I buy ?
I am not looking to tear up the hills but I will be going in them pretty deep and I don't want to walk out.
will the stock trans,and diffs hold up to moderate usage.
or do I need to change some parts and which parts are the most prone to breakage.
Also what size tire can I run with out killing the engine without doing gear changes.
Like I said I know nothing about anything newer than a old Willys so A little help would be nice. :-|

pyagid
03-24-2005, 03:17 PM
i know plenty of people that wheel with the 4cyl.

Should have an ax-5 tranny, Dana 35 rear, Dana 30 front axles. 4.10 gear ratio

My brother was running 32,s on his 4cyl YJ but 5th gear was basically useless on the highway. Other than that it was fine.

The Dana 35 should be fine up to 32" tires behind the 4 cyl motor.

Most prone to breaking would probably be the rear axle, to remedy this i know a few people have swapped in dana 44 front and rear out of a wagoneer, and then but 5.89 gears in it and run 35" tires with 4.5" of suspension lift and 1" body.

-Paul

eight
03-24-2005, 06:29 PM
An 8.8 from an explorer is almost a bolt in. But if you're not wanting to swap gears, 31s are as big as I'd go, and I wouldn't worry about anything breaking with that. If you're the cautious type, get a spare set of rear axleshafts.

If you want to build it up. Put the 8.8 with a detroit in the back, swap TJ shafts into the front and a drop in locker, 4.88 gears (lower's available but weaker), springover on stock springs + a leaf, and 35s. A good driver with that can run just about any trail in the US.

the4x4ne
04-12-2005, 01:34 PM
I have a 90 YJ. just be glad you have the fuel injection. right now mine is carbed with a stroker motor. EFI kit will be here anyday. But with the 4 banger you should have 4.10 gears and my buddy is running 33''s on his. He just has to down shift alot to get up hills. I have all new axles under mine. I have a ford 8.8 31 spline with 4.88 gears and a detroit soft locker. in the front i have a super dana 30 with 4.88 gears and an ARB locker. 4.88 gears are like night and day compared to stock gears. with the 33'' there are perfect. be carefull with that Dana 35 rear end with tires that are larger than 30'' they tend to break when your really on it.

Bulltear Ad