PDA

View Full Version : Expected travel?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Mudrat
03-27-2005, 08:42 PM
OK, I did the spring reverse and SOA thing when I put the Waggy axles under the CJ. I also have a 3" spring lift to boot.

Question is - shocks, or rather the length of them.

What kind of travel should I expect to see from a setup like this so I can get the right length shocks? I haven't found a page that will give min/max lenghts and I'm thinking maybe 12-14" total travel??????

Also with the heavier axles and 35's (maybe 37's?) the extra unspring weight will need some dampening.

Any suggestions and help is appreciated?

Mudrat

tufcj
03-30-2005, 10:25 AM
I get 10-12" travel on each corner with 1.5" lift springs, shackle reverse, and SOA. I went to a local 4x4 shop that had a ramp, twisted it to the max, then crawled under with a tape measure and measured lengths at full compression and droop. I ordered shocks with about 2" more travel than I could measure. Haven't had any problem so far. I ended up with Rancho shocks P/N 9112 on all 4 corners.

There are no tables, because it varies so much with shock mount placement, spring rates, and travel limits due to binding.

Bob
tufcj

Mudrat
03-30-2005, 07:23 PM
I get 10-12" travel on each corner with 1.5" lift springs, shackle reverse, and SOA. I went to a local 4x4 shop that had a ramp, twisted it to the max, then crawled under with a tape measure and measured lengths at full compression and droop. I ordered shocks with about 2" more travel than I could measure. Haven't had any problem so far. I ended up with Rancho shocks P/N 9112 on all 4 corners.

There are no tables, because it varies so much with shock mount placement, spring rates, and travel limits due to binding.

Bob
tufcj
Thanks Bob,
The H-7018's and 7024's I have are about 4" too short at max flex. Didn't want them to be the suspension limiter.

Pat

Bulltear Ad