PDA

View Full Version : New Mobil 1 Oils

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Soylent_Green
03-31-2005, 02:37 PM
As most of you probably know, Mobil 1 has just released three new products. They're called 5000, 7500, and 15000. This refers to the expected lifespan on a single oil change.

The 5000 is a conventional oil, the 7500 a synthetic blend, and the 15000 is a full synthetic.

When they first arived at checker, I was a bit suspicious. But, the bottle said it was garenteed, so I gave it a shot.

I used my girlfriends 92 mustang as a test subject, and did a oil change with the 7500. As the tired little 4 banger has high mileage, I usually use a motor flush at every oil change.

After the oil change, I didn't notice any change in how the engine sounded or performed.

This last weekend she was here on break from school, and I checked the oil. Normally it looses about one quart in a 3000 mile period, and after 1500 miles with the new oil, it was ony about 1/3 of a quart low. What was surprizing was that the color of the oil had changed very little. it looked almost as good as it did brand new.

At first I thought wow, this stuff is awesome. But then I was thinking, is this really a good thing? Is the oil keeping the motor clean, or is just not suspending the dirt and letting it build u pwhere it's not supposed to be?

Any input on this would be appreciated.

jeepsr4ever
03-31-2005, 03:18 PM
I think thats great...now let them make a oil filter that REALLY lasts longer than 4000miles and then we'll talk :wink:

Lifted79CJ7
03-31-2005, 06:01 PM
I was really wondering about it also. I just didn't want to be one of the guinea pigs that had their engine blow up. I need an oil change - Maybe I should try this stuff out. :-|

PS - Soylen - love the avatar - my buddy has an entire DVD of his stuff..

thejeepingoat
03-31-2005, 07:58 PM
i work parts, we have one account that is an idependent tester of many many things. He says they have done a lot with oils and most oils do what they say they do, but a couple did stand out. Those were the Mobil 1 full synthetic and Castrol GTX for the dino....i thought that was cool, he had nothing to gain from telling me any of this, he wasnt trying to sell me. Ive always used castrol in my higher mileage vehicles, and ive recentyly(before the encounter) had started using Mobil 1 in the wifes focus.

now if i can only remember HOW they tested them 8)

Barry Kaul
04-04-2005, 12:46 PM
When the Mobil 1 full synthetic first came out they claimed it would last 15000 miles but caught a lot of heat from the auto manufacturers.

As for filters, people have told me they use K&N oil filters for extended oil changes.

Soylent_Green
04-04-2005, 04:58 PM
We just got the Valvoline Maxlife oil filters in stock. Anybody heard anything about them?

Bulltear Ad