PDA

View Full Version : Indy heads

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

jeep_man_401
04-03-2005, 04:37 AM
Anybody here have installed Indy heads on a 401? I am building a 401 to go into a Jeep Huncho. Have most everything now. SR Indy heads, offy dual quad, eld. 500cfm carbs, Crower cam, Indy front cover and pump, crank scraper.
All said and done I should be pushing alittle over 500hp after port work on the heads. I got them today...was alittle dissapointed at how dirty they were, small cardboard chunks in the ports metal shaving? No big deal really for me as they are coming apart for bowl and port work. But for the money you would think they would be spotless and ready to bolt on.

The heads are taller than the stock heads by about half an inch. That leaves a big gap under the intake to block as the intake sits higher up. I was wondering if anybody has had this happen and what they used to seal it up?

Any tips on beefing up the quadatrack. I plan hitting the fairs this summer for the truck and tractor pulls.

How do you post pics on here?

Lifted79CJ7
04-03-2005, 09:13 AM
Indy makes a spacer to use with other intake manifolds I believe. They designed their heads to work with their intakes, so there is no gap - stock and aftermarket need the spacer. Again, for the price you pay, you think they would mention this.

Anywho, sounds like a killer setup! So when do we get to see some pics??

radamx
04-03-2005, 09:54 PM
Also check your head bolts. as my 401-1 heads required different length head bolts on a couple .

jeep_man_401
04-04-2005, 11:42 AM
Head bolts are covered...I bought a set from Indy. I guess I will call them about the spacers or I will make a set myself. The porting will take awhile as there is alot of clean-up on the heads I got. Thats O.K. because the rings are on back order (a set of total seal).

I built a 360 about 15 years ago that I have still running in a Javelin AMX that put out 232hp to the rear wheel on a dyno that came to town here last years. I had a bad carb on it at the time, square port header with dog leg heads and the car had been sitting for about 10 years. Was alittle disappointed at the power. Thought it would have been more than that. But I am really anxious to get this 401 togeather. Would love to put that on the dyno!!

Most street cars came in at 180 to 210hp. My car stumbled the rear wheel was out of round and it still put out more that most cars there. This 401 will really turn heads!

Bulltear Ad