PDA

View Full Version : Rear End + Turning + Noise

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

timboamx
04-04-2005, 08:34 AM
Here we go. I have a 68 Rambler Rouge with a Ford Rear 9" (there when I bought it). Anyhow, going strait down the road there are no problems, noises or anything. When I turn (Either left or right) the outer tire sounds like it is being dragged and squeals a bit + The turning ratio sucks bad. When I lifted the car & tried to turn the wheels, abou half the rotation was fine & easy (for both sides), then it hardened up a little (but not to a point that I couldn't turn it the rest of the way by hand), then was fine again.

Any ideas of what the problem might be or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, TIm

jeepsr4ever
04-04-2005, 10:10 AM
90% of the time thats a outer wheel bearing

timboamx
04-04-2005, 11:15 AM
Roger that I will have to check it out.

Just rcv'd an email from the previous owner.

"Tim, yes the origional owner did use to race it, he had a 401 in it before I bought it, but left the Ford rear in it and put the 232 back in it. I honestly cant remember since I owned it for 4 years prior, but do believe he said he had welded up the spider gears or maybe he had posi in it again I am not sure about this. Maybe that could explain why it makes that noise when you turn.

Todd"

Could it possibly be because the spider gear were welded up? When lifted and I turn a tire, both go in the same direction.

Tim

ROBERT11
04-04-2005, 05:10 PM
Yes, When making a turn, on an unlocked/welded axle, the outer wheel turns faster then the inside wheel-- if not you will have a poor turning radius, excessive tread wear, increased wear on the drivetrain, and a slight squeelling sound usually associated with high speed manuvers.

Bulltear Ad