PDA

View Full Version : Anybody run high advance?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

dimension4
04-06-2005, 08:56 PM
New guy, new problems. I have my 304 timed to 36 BTDC with vacuum advance disconnected, runs well here, but seems high. I am leaving the vacuum unhooked; I tried timing to 9 BTDC and plugging it to the ported vac., but she dies every time or it'll cough and spit up the carb and out the headers. I just put in a remanufactured motor, I have an Edelbrock 650 carb and Torker intake, and the mildest cam off of stock you can find. Is it possible I have the distributor in wrong, or off some bit? It dropped all the way down, so I don't think it's wrong. I'm running 15-16" Hg manifold vac, does the intake effect the vacuum reading? I think spec is 17-22" Hg, my cam is pretty mild. Would an MSD distributor/ignition system help me? :smile:

79cj5
04-07-2005, 06:35 AM
I have to join in here...I just finished my 304 rebuild and am having similar problems. :(:

I rebuilt with the original distributor, msd6/tfi ignition, edelbrock 600, performer cam, and performer intake. I can set my base idle timing at 10 btdc and run it fine without the vac advance connected. If I connect it to ported vac, it back fires through the carb when accelerating. If I run it without vac advance, I am at about 22 btdc at 1800rpm...don't know what timing is at higher rpm. The engine feels solid but lacking power when accelerating. :-|

My vac advance can is at full advance at 12-13" Hg...it begins advancing at about 2-3" Hg. Does anyone know if this is within specs??? I cannot find a replacement vac advance can to fit. Does anyone know of a matching unit for a different application? Ford maybe???

My carb is brand new and I have verified closed butterflies at idle.

Can anyone help us??????????

Greg
79 cj5 304/t-150 full restore

FrankNB
06-13-2005, 10:05 AM
Could/would a lean or rich condition produce these kinds of effects?

Bulltear Ad