PDA

View Full Version : Suspension lift

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

wolfe_man
04-09-2005, 03:30 AM
I have an ummmm beast (73 wagoneer under a 69 scout800 body, 401-TH400-QT) and want to do a lift in the rear as the stock/old wagoneer flat springs sag on one side 1.5" (has 2 helper springs on one side).

This evening I "Acquired" and installed (buddy left them at shop and forgot about them) a set of springs (I suspect cj7 or 8 because he has 3 of them) that are 52" flat springs with an offset pin at 28" from one of the eyes (I dont know if it was front or back....but the offset worked PERFECT when I installed it with the offset towards the rear) now it sits level (side to side not front to back) tires are centered in wheel wells and rides better than a 4x4 should but sits to low (old springs sat about 1.5" to low) I'd like to get 3" more lift to make it the body about level.

What can I scounge from that will work? or should I take a leaf from the old spring pack and add it to this one? (old one was 52" long but pin is centered)

any ideas or suggestions?
Take into consideration that I am broke due to wife in auto wreck and beind laid off (back to work now but have to catch up bills) so the cheaper the better....I dont have a problem with work and have access to all tools that may be needed to do just about anything.

eight
04-10-2005, 10:39 AM
Can't help you out with that much, but CJ springs are shorter than that and centered. Some chevys used 52" springs.

wolfe_man
04-14-2005, 06:52 PM
welp does anyone know if it is acceptable to redrill a leaf or two of my old springs (new springs are offset pin by 2" old are centered) to add them to the new spring pack?

If it is ok to redrill the spring hole I can just drill a leaf or 2 to get the ride height I am looking for (or close to it until I can afford to acually buy some).

Anyone know what other vehicles use a 52" leaf with offset pin? (28"-pin-24" is what im looking for)

tufcj
04-14-2005, 08:46 PM
2" probably isn't a good place to move the pin. That puts the old hole right at the edge of the axle pad. The old hole will be a weak point, and having it right where the axle pad will stress it as the axle twists could cause the leaf to break. Depending on where a main leaf breaks, it could be VERY bad if it happens while you're driving.

Do you have a drill that will cut spring steel? I guarantee that unless you have commercial grade bits, you'll just dull them trying to drill a spring leaf. A leaf spring is harder steel than a hardware store bit. My buddy bought some commercial bits, cost him nearly $250 for a set of 10.

www.alcanspring.com can make a new main leaf to your specs, then you could just bolt the rest of your leaves into that. Might be cheaper in the long run. They could make you complete new packs but they are pricey. I run Alcan springs on my Jeep and love them.

Bob
tufcj

austinjeepr
12-16-2005, 01:27 AM
chevy truck rear springs are 52-56 inches long you just specify which ones when ordering

Mat

Bulltear Ad