PDA

View Full Version : 77 Wagoneer

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

canuck
04-11-2005, 06:15 AM
Can someone please help me find specification info on a 1977 wagoneer. I frequent the CJ forum but I have an opportunity to buy a 77 wagoneer. It looks original with 360/air/quatra trac/fulltime 4W/automatic/six bolt wheels/stock tires.
I'm sure it has D44 in the rear but it looks offset to the passenger side please confirm??
What axle is in the front?
Front axle does not have locking hubs.
What gear ratios were available?
Thanks.

pyagid
04-11-2005, 06:19 AM
Should be dana 44 front and rear,
Rear is offset like you said with the quadratrac system, also the front hubs are locked in due to the quadratac again. You could get a conversion hub set up for them so you could lock or unlock them though.

As far as gear ratios i think everything from 2.73-3.73 were available with 3.54 being most common, Either Trailbst, or I could fill you in more with that when i get home from work

-Paul

canuck
04-11-2005, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the info. Anything further details you have would be great. I'm considering transfering the motor,axles,some steering into my project 84 CJ7.
Do you know if the axle width is the same?
What auto transmission would it have?
If it's the TH400 is that the same as GM/CHEV?
Thanks

pyagid
04-11-2005, 08:27 AM
They are wider than your stock CJ axles,
You would be better of finding either Narrow Trac FSJ axles that were not from the quadratrac set up, or scout axles. They are both closer to stock width, both will need to have the front springs mounted outboard of the frame on the front to fit properly.

And yes the transmission is a TH400 the internals are the same as a GM tranny, the case is differnt though, and the quadratrac t-case is teh only t-case that will bolt up to it with out using different adapters

-Paul

tufcj
04-11-2005, 08:31 AM
The trans is a GM TH400. The internals are the same as GM, but the case is AMC specific. The axles are about 60" wide. 81 and older cj is 51", 82-86 are 55", plus they are 6 bolt vs. a CJs 5 bolt. Unless you use the q-trac t-case or a Model 18, the rear is pretty useless. You'd also need a different adapter between the trans and t-case for any t-case other than the q-trac. The front CJ springs also need to be outboarded (moved outside the frame rails) to use the wider FSJ axles. The rear spring pads would need to be moved and re-welded.
Lots of work, much more than a bolt-in.

Bob
tufcj

Lifted79CJ7
04-12-2005, 06:57 AM
Also if you want to change out to a different t-case, you will have to swap out the output shaft on the TH400. Supposed to be pretty easy from what I've read - but I've never tried it. The th400 shaft is reall long (around 10" I believe and has a low spline count (like 10 or something wierd).

Jack

canuck
04-12-2005, 07:19 AM
My original intent was to use the 44 front axle and shorten it. Use the steering inverted "T" for my SOA. High steer because the 77 has the flat top knuckles. Convert 6 to 5 using Ford parts and use Ford hubs. I can get this rig for $200, and the front drive shaft is CV. Lot's of pros. I'm waying the options.
I'm going tonight to try and identify the gear ratio. Does anyone know were I can find info on deciphering axle identification numbers to find out what the gear ratio is with opening it up?

Bulltear Ad