PDA

View Full Version : Roller Rockers and Rocker Arm studs

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Chris
04-11-2005, 05:43 PM
I have an 88 360 I am trying to put back together. I have a set of roller rockers I want to put on it and am curious if anyone has ever tried using rocker arm studs from a ford. The studs have a 5/16" base thread size to match my heads.

I was a little worried whether the would be any strength issues with the
5/16" base but my machinist said with my spring pressures, it should not be an issue. He also said that he has not tried them on an AMC but put a set on his friend's ford and it is running with no problems/stregnth issues.

Here are some links to the parts.

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=/egnsearch.asp&N=400114

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=/egnsearch.asp&N=400114

tufcj
04-11-2005, 09:42 PM
The problem you'll run into is that you MUST use guide plates and hardened pushrods with rollers in a 74 or newer head. The factory bridged rockers relied on the bridge to hold the rocker arm straight. In every install I've seen, once a guide plate is installed, the stud is so tall the rocker hits the bottom before it can be tightened enough to adjust. I've had to have at least .250" milled from the rocker pedestal on any rocker install in a 74 or newer head.

Bob
tufcj

Chris
04-12-2005, 06:04 AM
Thanks turfCJ,

So how do you determine how much needs to be milled off of the pedestal? Do I have to get the studs and set everything up, check the clearance and then determine how much needs to be milled? From what I read there seems to be differing amounts that have to be milled off. Also, what studs and guideplates do you use in your setup? Sorry for all the questions, the more I read, the more confused I get over this issue. :!:

tufcj
04-12-2005, 07:50 AM
I usually stick to the pre-74 heads when going to rollers. That way there are no guide plates or machining to deal with.

The one set of late heads I did do, I had milled .250" using .120" thick guide plates. If the guide plates are thicker, more needs to be milled off. I also had the holes drilled/tapped to 7/16", so I could use SBC studs. I use ARP # 134-7104 (3/8" top, 7/16" bottom).

Bob
tufcj

Chris
04-12-2005, 10:30 AM
Thanks TufCJ

Bulltear Ad