PDA

View Full Version : CJ 7 Track Bar Problem Help !

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

chazgin
04-16-2005, 02:06 PM
After many seasons of 4 wheeling I noticed that my CJ had a vicious front end shake. I got underneath and saw that the bracket (passenger side) where the track bar mounts to the frame was loose. Closer inspection showed that all three bolts (two from the bottom and one from the side) had loosened enough to let the bracket drop 3/8" or so from the frame. How do you tighten this up? There seems no way to get a wrench in to hold the nut on the inside of the frame while you tighten the bolt ! Am I
missing something here or is there another way to do this?

chazgin
04-16-2005, 02:39 PM
not track but sway / stabilizer bar

Bulltear Online Pro-parts
04-16-2005, 03:15 PM
Sounds like you have frame rot. You may need to make up or have some new brackets made up that use the outside of the frame instead of the inside. Check the ball joints as well

chazgin
04-16-2005, 07:52 PM
I was outside looking at this and there appears to be long tubular type "nuts" on the bolts. Very different then the captive nut that holds the spring hanger to the frame. Anyway these "nuts" have separated from the frame and the bolts just turn in the holes. I can gring off the bolts but then what? Is there some type of nutsert or other way to reattach the plate?

Lifted79CJ7
04-16-2005, 09:31 PM
Cut an access hole, repair the area, reweld it back up. :oops: Unfortunately, there is not an easy fix on this and is a common problem with CJ frames.

81cj
04-27-2005, 03:27 PM
Thats exactly what I did. cut a hole in the frame, replaced the nuts and rewelded. :lo1l: good as new

Bulltear Ad