PDA

View Full Version : Frame Repair

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

grignac48
04-18-2005, 08:28 PM
Got a 79 CJ7 tore down and frame sand blasted. Now to repair. The body mount holes are a little large. :smile: What size hole is supposed to be in there? The rear of the frame for about 6 inches is bad. Thought about using box channel or C channel. Any Ideas? I have a new valence already. :!:

pyagid
04-19-2005, 07:08 AM
This thread may help
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=334805&highlight=TOTM

Sorry I have been lucky enough to not have to repair my frame. I believe the holes for the body mounts are 3/4" though

-Paul

Penguin
04-19-2005, 07:55 AM
I do believe that advance frameworks and 4wd, sell just the body mounts to re-weld back on the frame.

fuzz401
04-19-2005, 08:13 AM
I might have some old ones that are in good shape that I took off a frame that i junked will have to look

grignac48
04-19-2005, 11:02 AM
Thanks. I looked at replacing the whole mount but that was more work than just welding a new piece(100$) over the damaged area. Plus trying to realign the center and the height. #-o

cobra5laddict
04-22-2005, 01:58 PM
this is what i did on my cj5 frame...

everywhere i looked it said 1-1/4" hole. i bought some large and thick washers from t bolt supply house and used a hole saw to "install" them

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/cobra5laddict/DSCF0006.jpg

Penguin
04-25-2005, 05:38 AM
I don't want to question your idea, but.......... :-|
So how are you holding that in?
That has to hold your body to the frame, so remember to make it very strong.

cobra5laddict
04-25-2005, 02:52 PM
that photo was used to illustrate the idea... i am finished now.. i used a miller 110 to weld the washer into the frame on both sides. :lo1l: not going to have any problem coming apart i can guaranty you that, i am willing to bet that you could pick up the jeep from any of the mounts i replaced.

i dont have a pic of them welded in but i can take one.. did you think that this was the finished product?

Mudrat
04-26-2005, 09:18 AM
I don't want to question your idea, but.......... :-|
So how are you holding that in?quote]
[quote=cobra5laddict]i used a miller 110 to weld the washer into the frame on both sides. :lo1l: not going to have any problem coming apart i can guaranty you that, i am willing to bet that you could pick up the jeep from any of the mounts i replaced.

i dont have a pic of them welded in but i can take one.. did you think that this was the finished product?

OOpppss :shock: I used JB Weld :shock:

Acutally I made 3/16" plates and put them down with a Datona Mig :?:

Mudrat

cobra5laddict
04-26-2005, 02:11 PM
mudrat..

i like that... jb weld... it's funny cause i am sure someone has done it! :razz:

it has to be at least as strong as stock and 100 times stronger than the rusted holes that used to hold the body on

Mudrat
04-26-2005, 02:21 PM
i like that... jb weld... it's funny cause i am sure someone has done it! :razz:

it has to be at least as strong as stock and 100 times stronger than the rusted holes that used to hold the body on
Then sold it on E-bay as a restoration :shock: :?:

Mudrat

Soylent_Green
04-27-2005, 12:50 AM
My poor old cj-7 only has about 2 1/2 bolts holding the body on the frame.

Probably the strongest point of attachment is the ratchet strap that goes from frame to frame over the flat in front of the windshield. :shock:

I did this to keep the cab from lifting everytime I depressed the clutch....

:razz: 111!!!

Goose
04-27-2005, 07:11 AM
Hey now..J-B weld has saved my bacon a couple times..I spun a bearing in the housing on a 69 commando I had..Cleaned it out with carb cleaner and built a "ledge" to hold the axle bearing in. (rube goldberg to be sure but it got me home) and 3 weeks ago the high pressure oil feed line to the turbo on the Kenworth broke pulling a grade in the San Rafel swell (I-70 in Utah) and with a little creative use of J-B and a aluminum foil "form" it held for 600 miles (the pyrometer at the turbo runs 950 degrees on a hard pull like that and the oil pressure is 50-60 psi at 2150 RPM). Now for the official disclaimer..Yes it was dangerous and kinda stupid since if it had let go at those temps and pressures spraying on the turbo I probably would have had a oil fire..But hey I'm a professional right..? Dammit quit laughing..

Lifted79CJ7
04-27-2005, 07:14 AM
I feel your pain! I need all new bushings and body mount bolts. Hell, I need a new tub! I do dig the ratchet strap idea! =D> :shock:

Penguin
04-27-2005, 07:21 AM
Sorry about questioning your work. But I have bought some jeeps like MudRat has talked about. I have seen some real http://www.4wd.com/4wdforums/images/smilies/wtf.gif

cobra5laddict
04-27-2005, 09:02 AM
penguin,

i am just kidding with ya, .... it sounds like we need to start a thread about some "trail fixes" using jb weld, duct tape, bondo, steel wool, and zip ties.... from what i have seen around here, most of the jeeps (cj's are held together with these fine inventions.

Penguin
04-27-2005, 10:21 AM
penguin,

i am just kidding with ya, .... it sounds like we need to start a thread about some "trail fixes" using jb weld, duct tape, bondo, steel wool, and zip ties.... from what i have seen around here, most of the jeeps (cj's are held together with these fine inventions.
Yep, done a few in mine time also. Those really scary trial fixes or something to get me home because something broke. But what is really scary is when they become permanent fixes on the jeep.
When I was in highschool people I knew used to say I could fix anything broke with duct tape and bailing wire. I have done a few strange fixes.

Bulltear Ad