PDA

View Full Version : 360 oil issue, knocking

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

willysjeepseller
04-22-2005, 10:04 AM
Just had my 360 rebuilt and in the morning it takes up to seven seconds for the oil pressure to build up. During this time there is what sounds like a lifter knock and then the engine labors a little when the oil finally starts flowing. I only have about 500 miles on the rebuild and I took it back to the rebuilder. We all thought it sounded like a bad lifter and they told me to make sure that there was a anti-drainback flap in the filter and to let them know if it gets worse.

I spanked it up a steep grade last weekend and when I stopped at the top the oil pressure was down to 25lbs, from the usual 60 at idle when only semi warm. It seemed to only be hitting on 7 cylinders until I gave it gas to get the oil pressure up.

This week I took it back to the rebuilders and he swapped the lifters and filter. I just called him and he says that nothing has changed. It still knocks when he starts it in the morning. This just doesn't seem right. Any ideas?

jeepsr4ever
04-22-2005, 10:34 AM
WOW yes it needs to be looked at PRONTO.. my guess is that the cam beqarings were installed wrong or you have a worn out old timing cover that needs replacment

willysjeepseller
04-22-2005, 11:53 AM
Think the timing cover could cause that, they said it looked good when they rebuilt it. I would buy all that but the hitting on not all 8 is what I find weird.

jeepsr4ever
04-22-2005, 12:04 PM
you may have a roached distributor gear now that it didnt get enough oil.....hmmm. These issues are black and white always and their is no mystery to it....something is loose or wrong. Sounds like a warrantee issue all the way but please keep us posted

willysjeepseller
04-22-2005, 12:22 PM
I put a new pro billet in it.

This only happens when it is the first start in say 5 hours or the first start of the day. If it hasn't been sitting long it does not cackle. It runs 60-70 psi cold with 15W-40.

willysjeepseller
04-22-2005, 03:50 PM
How would cam bearings be causing the noise?

jeepsr4ever
04-22-2005, 04:10 PM
Weve seen a misplaced cam bearing unable to line itself up with the oil spin in the block and cause a rattle and bad oil pressure

willysjeepseller
04-25-2005, 10:41 AM
I picked it up this weekend. When I started it up saturday it sounded fine. This morning it was cold and it cackled until it got pressure. I called the rebuilder and he said that he did replace the lifters. He said that it's the way they are since the pump is so high on the block after time it just bleeds down and takes a few seconds to get back up. I drove it and it worked ran fine. Never got it hot though. I guess if I am worried about it I can run a prelube system.

Bulltear Ad