PDA

View Full Version : AMC 360 Problem Tick Tick Tick

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

carlsorensen
04-26-2005, 04:48 PM
Hi All,

I have an AMC 360 with about 5000 miles on it since a complete rebuild.

I have two problems.

1. There is a lifter tick... it seems on the rear lifters(closest to cab) on each bank seem to be ticking lightly?

2. There is a stronger tick or possibly a knock that seems to be coming from around the harmonic damper or that area of the engine...... I took off all belts and it's still there. OH NO.

I spent over $3500 having this motor rebuilt but it's been about 4 years since I had it built... in that time I have only put about 5000 miles on the jeep and I just don't know what to do.

Does it sound serious? Is this common?

Please help me.

Carl Sorensen

jeepsr4ever
04-26-2005, 04:54 PM
Not good at all....what does your oil pressure guage say?

welcoem aboard :t:

carlsorensen
04-26-2005, 05:11 PM
Hey,

Oil PSI is at 40 PSI at IDLE so I don't know if thats the problem.

PS.. did you get my paypal for the alternator bracket?

Carl Sorensen

jeepsr4ever
04-26-2005, 05:43 PM
Yup sure did....Are you sure it isnt a exhaust leak. Sometimes a leaky gasket can sound like that

carlsorensen
04-26-2005, 05:54 PM
Hey,

I know there is a bit of an Exhaust Leak but discounting that there still seems to be a tick tick tick coming from the bottom front of the engine...

I hope it's not a bearing... By your response you seem to think it's not?

I am going to replace the rocker arms and bridges to fix the upper tick... And I will get copper gaskets for the headers and tighten all that up..

But still have no clue as to this other tick seeming to be coming from the front of the motor... maybe I am just hearing things?

It only has 5000 miles on it. And It's definitely getting oil...

Onto the Alternator... What kind of Alternator will I have to use with these brackets?

My Jeep is wired for a GM one wire hookup.

Thank you for the quick responses.

Carl Sorensen

jeepsr4ever
04-26-2005, 05:57 PM
Carl almost every type of alternator will hook up to these brackets including yours and the nippon denso mini alternator. Hmmm wish that engine was here we could find the culprit in less than 30 minutes

carlsorensen
04-26-2005, 06:22 PM
Okay Cool...

Yeah I wish we had a machine shop here in town that knew anything about AMC's....

I am anxious to get the thing going for the summer... Everything else is okay but the motor thing ticks me off.

It's an early 1980's 360

Here is what the machine shop did to it.

.40 over
10.5:1 Commpression ( I think)
Grind Crank
RR Pistons
CAM Brngs
Resize Rods
Resurface Heads
Resurface Block
Install Guides
VG Heads
Engine Kit - $820 (Assuming thats the rebuild kit) SEA MKP715A

I am running an Aurora HP Ignition (Similar To MSD Just Canadian :)) with 8.8mm wires.

Edelbrock performer intake with Edelbrock Carb, and the exhaust is Heddman headers with Flowmaster SUV series.

It sounds great.

But not the damn Ticks! I am scared to drive it or do anything with it as the motor was expensive to build and I am sure is going to expensive and bitch to fix!

Thanks for your help thus far.

Carl Sorensen

73hornut
04-26-2005, 06:47 PM
Pull your valve covers and make sure that your keepers(locks) are not wallowing down through your valve retainers. Check the height of the valve tip in relation to the top of the retainers.

carlsorensen
04-26-2005, 06:55 PM
Hey Hornut,

Is there a specific way I should do this? And if it's occuring is that the root of my problem?

None of you think the main bearings are toasted?

Carl Sorensen

ol' school power
04-26-2005, 09:02 PM
Yeah I wish we had a machine shop here in town that knew anything about AMC's....

For something like this, it doesn't matter who's engine it is.
Eight pistons, spark plugs etc......
If any shop acted confused, they should hang a for rent sign and go home.
As far as the tick, headers themselves will do that also.

carlsorensen
04-26-2005, 09:13 PM
I was just out playing with it for the last hour and it seems that the noise is definitley coming from the front..

But it's not a tick... it's like a grinding sort of ticking and it seems to come and go... Not very steady.

I don't know what to do...

Carl Sorensen

ol' school power
04-26-2005, 09:17 PM
Have you tried it without the belts?

carlsorensen
04-26-2005, 09:36 PM
Ol School,

DOH... Yeah I did try it without the belts... And it still sounded like it was there just way quieter...

But I am the kind of person who gets paranoid and hears all kinds of things when something is bugging me 111!!!

I have had this Jeep for nearly 9 years... In it's time I have heard and diagnosed a lot of noises...

But this one just stumps me... I am scared the bearings are toast or something and I don't want to drive it. It's a 40 minute drive just to get it to the machine shop. Or about $150 tow bill! I would prefer neither.

Carl Sorensen

ol' school power
04-26-2005, 09:46 PM
I was just thinking of the water pump impeller scraping into the back of the timing cover. I've seen a few go that way.
If you're running a roller timing chain, sometimes you can hear them through the cover ( if the engine's quiet enough).
Certainly nothing that I drive.

carlsorensen
04-27-2005, 11:13 AM
Thank you for all the help thus far everyone.

Good suggestion on the Water Pump Ol' School I checked that but to no avail... it still continues...

HOWEVER...

Today I grabbed a cardboard tube from some wrapping paper and started listening around the engine to figure out "Where" this is coming from and my conclusion is the Fuel Pump.

It's a "Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap" And is really strong when I put the tube to my ear and touch it to the pump.

On the timing cover casing and waterpump I can still hear the "Tap, Tap, Tap" but it's definitly not as strong as when I place the tube and listen to the Fuel Pump.

So do you think that could actually be the problem?

Carl Sorensen

jeepsr4ever
04-27-2005, 12:41 PM
I had a fuel pump do that to me twice!!

carlsorensen
04-27-2005, 03:48 PM
So it's the Fuel Pump?

I ordered a new one anyways...

Could this be the result of an underlying problem? The fuel pump was a used unit.

I shall see what happens. Thank you everyone. This is the best AMC/Jeep forum I have found.

Carl Sorensen

73hornut
04-27-2005, 08:11 PM
Might be a worn fuel pump accentric. The one on my 401 had a 1/4in deep groove worn in it.

carlsorensen
04-29-2005, 08:03 PM
Got the new fuel pump and put it in and voila... that nasty tick was gone...

Now onto the lifters and exhaust leak... I love AMC don't get me wrong... and am glad I have that 360 in the Jeep because it's fun as hell...

It's the "behind the scenes" stuff that is annoying.

Thanks for your help

Carl Sorensen

Bulltear Ad