PDA

View Full Version : oil pump rebuild

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Chris
04-29-2005, 09:08 PM
I am rebuiding my oil pump and after reading all of the problems everyone has I am a little leary of doing things wrong. My timing cover looks to be in good shape with very little wear showing no heavy scoring the oil filter adapter has a little wear on one side. The gear end clearance is 0.003 and sidewall clearance is 0.002. What do I need to do to make sure that this is setup correct?

Should I buy the midplate or does my adapter look good?

I believe that my filter adapter has the filter bypass cast in, am I correct?

What should I do to the gears before putting them in, I have read the posts about deburring and lapping the gears, is this something I can do?

http://members.cox.net/csterne2/100_FUJI-DSCF0867_DSCF0867.JPG

http://members.cox.net/csterne2/100_FUJI-DSCF0870_DSCF0870.JPG

http://members.cox.net/csterne2/100_FUJI-DSCF0872_DSCF0872.JPG

jeepsr4ever
04-30-2005, 05:10 AM
No looks good...I would run with it on a used engine and possibly a rebuilt one. If you have oiling problems while warm then I would look into a midplate or possibly a new pump.

Chris
04-30-2005, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the input. I am rebuilding the engine bit I don't know much about the history of it. It ran and had good oil pressure but the pump had been worked on, I could tell due to the whole tube of silicone used to put it back together :!: . I will give a try and see how it goes.

Oh yea MC, I need an intake manifold and some other goodies can you get a performer intake with EGR?

Thanks,
Chris

jeepsr4ever
04-30-2005, 08:19 AM
to be honest with you go to summitracing.com they have a grandfathered price on the intake manifolds....we cant beat them

langer1
09-04-2005, 10:25 AM
My cover's not in good shape. What is a mid plate, how can I fix the pump?

Lifted79CJ7
09-04-2005, 11:44 PM
OK, so how is it not in good shape??? We need more info here. As for the midplate, it goes between the oul pu,p/timing gear housing and the oil filter adapter. Or you can ditch the filter adapter completely and get a relocation kit like this...
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/bulltear/626.jpg
to replace this...
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/bulltear/oiladaptor.jpg

It helps to reduce wear on the filter adapter from wearing down, keeping the gears in their designed spots, which would cause loss of oil pressure. Does that make any sense?
Jack

langer1
09-05-2005, 05:33 AM
I will try to get some pictures. So a mid plate can be added to the filter adaptor if needed, or I can also use a filter re-location kit, correct?

Lifted79CJ7
09-05-2005, 08:26 AM
Yup, that's it! MC makes both of them here, jsut depends on what you want to do...

jeepsr4ever
09-05-2005, 04:42 PM
Yup, that's it! MC makes both of them here, jsut depends on what you want to do...

What I really want to do is grab a cpt coke and some sleep :mrgreen:

Lifted79CJ7
09-05-2005, 06:40 PM
Mmmmm, Cpt and coke...... (Insert Homer drool here)

langer1
09-10-2005, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the help guys but I still have low oil pressure after installing a new bulltear .007 gasket. The one I took out was .025 the .007 seemed to help a little. Engine is all rebuilt every thing was plasti-gauged and correct.
Pressure is 75# cold at idle and drops to 5# when warmed up. Runs and sounds great.
I should add that the pump gears are new also and the housing clearences are good too.

tarior
09-11-2005, 12:48 AM
Cpt and coke? ...is that a Cuba Libre? Oh, BTW, is the plunger on top of the spring in the pump, or the other way 'round?

73hornut
09-11-2005, 07:08 AM
Thanks for the help guys but I still have low oil pressure after installing a new bulltear .007 gasket. The one I took out was .025 the .007 seemed to help a little. Engine is all rebuilt every thing was plasti-gauged and correct.
Pressure is 75# cold at idle and drops to 5# when warmed up. Runs and sounds great.
I should add that the pump gears are new also and the housing clearences are good too.
Actually no one has posted a pic of the midplate yet. The plate is stainless steel, about 1/8in thick. Ask mc for a pic, as i don't see it in the product section anymore. The pic above that was posted, is an oil filter relocation kit.
It helps to get the right info to start with.

langer1
09-11-2005, 07:52 AM
Actually no one has posted a pic of the midplate yet. The plate is stainless steel, about 1/8in thick. Ask mc for a pic, as i don't see it in the product section anymore. The pic above that was posted, is an oil filter relocation kit.
It helps to get the right info to start with.
Ok thanks.
From other Jeep boards it seems I don't have a problem.
10# for every 1000 rpm is normal.
I have a new Mechanical cheapo gauge thats market 0-100 psi so it just don't show 10# very good.

jeepsr4ever
09-11-2005, 08:24 AM
Thats still pretty low, I would take off the 7/8 bolt from the oil filter adaptor and clean the plunger and spring and re-install with a newer spring to see if that makes any difference.

langer1
09-11-2005, 12:17 PM
Thats still pretty low, I would take off the 7/8 bolt from the oil filter adaptor and clean the plunger and spring and re-install with a newer spring to see if that makes any difference.
Ok I'll try that, the gear kit came with a new main spring but not the filter bypass spring.

tarior
09-11-2005, 02:25 PM
Methinks you should oughta plug the filter bypass. :wink:

Bulltear Ad