PDA

View Full Version : Dizzy gear question

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

MIDNIGHT
05-05-2005, 02:15 PM
In an attempt to prevent my 360 from eating up the cam/dizzy gear when I finish building it (I'm pessamistic BTW), would I have a better chance running a bronze dizzy gear?

Is this why I was told to run one in a SBC with a roller cam? maybe a little more forgiving if something isn't perfectly lined up.

tufcj
05-05-2005, 02:53 PM
Bronze gears are softer, so they are considered "sacrificial", meaning they're meant to wear out. This is important on Chevys where the cam gear isn't replacable. They're also suggested with gear drives as the gears take more of a pounding. A timing chain absorbs a lot more shock load than a gear can. I was told that if you run bronze, always carry a spare. But what about the metal that goes thru the motor? Assemble it carefully, and it will be fine. I've built 10 AMC V-8s over 20 years, and experienced my first gear failure on the last one. Turned out, I didn't inspect the distributor well enough (re-used OE w/Pertronix), and the lower bushing was worn, allowing side/side movement of the shaft, and wearing the gear. Replaced the gears and distributor with a Mallory, and haven't had a problem since.

Just remember to check all the oil passages during assembly. Read the "AMC oiling" forum thoroughly.
Bob
tufcj

Bulltear Ad