PDA

View Full Version : Hemi

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

KEV
05-06-2005, 03:48 PM
Anybody ever fiddle with the old 330 Hemi's?

Dusty
05-09-2005, 10:11 AM
yeah why? what are you pondering? if its a 330 is it a Desoto, Chrystler of Dodge block, next does it have the integrated bell houseing cast into the block? finally if it is a late 330 like 56-57 truck 330 it s potentially is a 354 with undersized pistons. what heads are on it, does it have the big sideways oval ports, or the small ports? does it have the water cross over ports on teh front of the heads or are they cast as bosses only. is there an exhaust cross over or is it a water cross over in the middle of teh heads. is there a maltice cross stamped anywhere on the block that will indicate a variation from std specs. like different sized bearings lifters or what ever.

lastly what do you want to do with it.

KEV
05-09-2005, 04:14 PM
I might end up with one from a trade deal. No idea what year it is.

Dusty
05-09-2005, 04:31 PM
All fire domes are good engines but some are harder to get parts for and or rebuild and adapt to more modern transmissions and intakes etc than others..........so if you are going to get it, good definately get it but if you can round up some details i can better tell you what the application was that it was from and how or if you can rebuild it affordably or if is even a good version of the engine. luckily since you say 330 im pretty sure it will pprobably be a 55 or 56 Chrystler and in that case alot of what works for a 354 will work on the 330. :wink:

there were alot of different variations of the engine, marine, industrial, Desoto, Dodge and then Chrystler automotive and each had its own differences different, block in somecases, diff crank, rods , bearings camshafts timing chains ect. i sometimes wonder what they were thinking or if they were cause mass production and interchangable parts definately didnt come into the thought process till later, maybe a ford engineer snuck in there.

KEV
05-10-2005, 06:11 AM
:t:

Bulltear Ad