PDA

View Full Version : alternator wiring

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

StudNuts
05-06-2005, 04:53 PM
really dumb wiring question. Im having some alternator whoas. When I rebuilt my engine i put a new alternator in and new battery. Ive noticed after every trail ride my battery would die. I narrowed it down to my alternator not wired properly. I have an amc 360 with the stock replacement alternator. It has 1 battery post terminal, which naturally would be to battery +. Now on the side it has 2 other connectors numbered 1 and 2. Anyone know where these go too? Im guessing one goes to another + and one is like a signal wire, but not sure. If so, where could I put the signal wire? Can someone help me out, im too stupid to figure this out ;)

alex
05-06-2005, 05:14 PM
did you do a voltage check to make sure your alternator is charging?I think the 2 wires are just for the amp gauge on your dash but I could be wrong.Unplug the wires your worried about and see if the alternator is putting out more volts than with the wires hooked up.

StudNuts
05-06-2005, 05:47 PM
did you do a voltage check to make sure your alternator is charging?I think the 2 wires are just for the amp gauge on your dash but I could be wrong.Unplug the wires your worried about and see if the alternator is putting out more volts than with the wires hooked up.

the alternator isnt charging at all. The engine is from a donor waggy and put into a tube chasis offroader so I dont have the factory wiring harness and dont know where the heck the two wires on the side marked 1 and 2 go. Im leading to believe that is why my alt isnt charging. Im not sure if there is a signal wire or something to kick the alt on/off.

Lifted79CJ7
05-07-2005, 05:57 AM
The factory Alternators in the V8 CJ suck, they are only like 15 amps. I am not sure about the Waggys, though. Can you take it to AutoZone so they can test it for free for ya?

StudNuts
05-07-2005, 07:55 AM
The factory Alternators in the V8 CJ suck, they are only like 15 amps. I am not sure about the Waggys, though. Can you take it to AutoZone so they can test it for free for ya?

the waggys had a range of different alternators depending on interior trim. They ranged from 78 amps(which I have) all the way up to about 93 amps.

jeepsr4ever
05-07-2005, 09:16 AM
both reds end up together the brown goes to your volt gauge

Ted Wendel
05-15-2005, 06:59 AM
If it's a GM alternator,one wire goes to the 12 volt post on the back of the alternator,and the other one needs to be a resistor wire tied into the ingition wire,or any wire that is hot with the key on,and no power with the key off.If you don't use a resistor wire,when you cut if off,it will keep on running,because it will back feed thru the non resistor wire.Or you can install a self exciting (marine) regulator,then all you will need is one wire from the battery post on the alternator,to the postive post on the battery.

Bulltear Ad