PDA

View Full Version : XJ insainity

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

youdidwhat
05-07-2005, 12:58 PM
Ok so I just joined, but I have been a member of KCJEEPCLUB for 7 months now and I have stumped quite a few with this question.

Let me set this up, then the question.

I was rolling down the hwy doing normal hwy speeds when out of the clear blue my 98 XJ starts loosing power, then it surges back to normal rpm then cuts out again, I pull over and its running real rough, coughing sputtering, and sitting at about 300 rpm. I attempted to rev the engine and it did nothing. again I attempted to rev the engine, then it died, it started back up but is still running rough, then some times it surge to normal rpm and drop off again. this behavior is coupled with a real weird surge that happens at about 3500 rpm that feels just like I'm hitting the gas then letting up straight away over and over.
most of these symptoms are nonexesistant when the XJ is cold or just started but once I get to operating temp. it starts again.

so my question is.

DOES any one know what is wrong with my rig, or has had this problem in the past.

any help would be great!

one more thing, intrestingly enough there are two of us in the club having the same problem with 98 XJ's that started at the same time.
:!: :?:

Lifted79CJ7
05-07-2005, 01:40 PM
Clogged catalytic converters? I know 97 TJ's had that problem I think. If you can't get your exhaust gas out, then you can't pull more air in - resulting in a dead engine. Just a guess.....

Jack

youdidwhat
05-07-2005, 02:58 PM
checked that,

plenty of flow.

we are looking more at the TPS or a computer control modual.
:-|

Mudrat
05-07-2005, 07:19 PM
Or a vacuum that's open at temp .. ?

Soylent_Green
05-07-2005, 11:37 PM
bad O2 sensors will give that effect. I had exactly the same symptoms in my bronco.

(Your rig's computer will ignore the O2 sensors until it reaches operating temperature, until then the computer will run a closed loop that will "fake" a reading that it will use to run lean and warm the engine up.)

Soylent_Green
05-07-2005, 11:41 PM
Well, come to think of it, a faulty fuel pressure regulator may be the cause. sometimes they go bad in a way that they will ony not work when they get hot.

Another possibility is an Idle Air Control valve. but that's usually just a mid-90's ford problem.

Soylent_Green
05-07-2005, 11:47 PM
Ah, never mind, I'd bet on the O2 sensor.

Too much ~~~~~~~> :razz:

youdidwhat
05-08-2005, 08:51 AM
would either of those send code to the computer, because I took it out yesterday with a hand held attached to the computer and got it to act up but got no codes from it.

Ohh and the TPS cleaning did not help :!:

I think my troble is too much :(: and not enough :razz:

Soylent_Green
05-08-2005, 07:53 PM
Hmmmmm......no codes.

Well, that really throws a wrench into it.

pyagid
05-09-2005, 06:10 AM
LIke the others said, I would Check the Fuel injectors, Make sure none are leaking, or clogged, Maybe Change the fuel filter, if that is partially clogged it could be starving for fuel at the higher RPM, also check your plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and air filter.

All of the tune up components could cause these symptoms. I think someone on another board just had a similiar problem if i could find the link i will post it here

-Paul

youdidwhat
05-09-2005, 07:34 AM
Tune up is fresh and the air filter is clean.

getting a hollow muffled rattle from the under carrage now I'm going to go back and have my cat tested again, and yea I'm looking into that fuel pump.

The kicker is I just replaced the fuel sending unit and now I have to go back into the gas tank AGAIN. :roll:

I need a vacation from my hobby.

Think I'll go to work now it is far less frustrating :!:

wolfe_man
05-09-2005, 06:16 PM
I have an 02 ford focus that does the same exact thing. I traced mine down to the rpm/mph sensor...I can be going 40 and the speedo will shoot to 130mhp (wire driven speedo, not a cable spedo) and it will activate the rev limited even though I'm just cruising. I dont know if this is the issue with you but might take a look

Also have a buddy with an 86 xj that acted similar and it was a faulty fuel pump....pumped enough to idle and drive at slow speeds but would die if you tried to give it gas. Replaced pump and issue fixed.

youdidwhat
05-16-2005, 12:09 PM
It seems the simple fix was the way to go this time. A couple cans of "SEA FOAM" seemed to fix it right up and no reoccourances.

I tryed a basic fuel injector cleaner too start with and had no improvement at all so I moved up to bigger soulutions. that will teach me not to try the cheep rout next time.

Thank you all for your help.

Matt A.

Mudrat
05-16-2005, 03:58 PM
Glad you found it and fixed it ... what is "Sea Foam"? Other than the obvious to an old sailor :roll:

pyagid
05-17-2005, 07:50 AM
Sea Foam is a Internal engine cleaner
http://www.seafoamsales.com/

SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT for Gas Engine Applications

100% Pure Petroleum
Use in All Engines in All Seasons
2 Cycle, 4 Cycle, and Diesels
Treats 3 Critical Areas: Gas Tank, Fuel Systems, and Crankcase

* Cleans fuel injectors
* Cleans carburetor jets
* Cleans carbon
* Stabilizes fuels
* Upper cylinder lube
* Removes moisture in fuel
* De-icer
* Frees sticky lifters
* Frees sticky rings
* Removes moisture in oil
* Cleans P.C.V. systems
* Cleans catalytic converter odors
* Oxygen sensor safe

-Paul

Mudrat
05-17-2005, 09:23 AM
sounds like good stuf . . .does it really work as advertized?

Pat

pyagid
05-17-2005, 09:25 AM
I dont know if i have ever actually used it, but heard it works pretty well.

-Paul

youdidwhat
05-18-2005, 10:16 AM
It works better than you would think. does wonders for alot of applications.
you can put it in your oil,tranny(auto only, plus you have to change the fluid after 500 miles.)fuel tanks, lawnmower,weedeater, boats ( what it was first designed for). all kinds of things.

I think it might have troubles getting your other half to leave you alone while working in the garage.
But flowers and candy help with that. :t:

M.A.

Bulltear Ad