PDA

View Full Version : T-case Swap Questions

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

MrFurious
05-11-2005, 12:09 PM
Have a few questions I'm hoping someone can answer for me. I'm new to the FSJ scene (formerly an early Bronco guy), so its a new learning curve.

I have a 1978 Cherokee with the TH400 and QT, and would like to swap to a non-fulltime transfer case. From what I've read, the Dana 18 swap would be the easiest since the rear output of offset like the QT, but I'd like to get away from the power robbing drag of turning all the t-case gears when not in 4wd if possible (in other words, a straight through rear output is desired).

Thus, the next easiest sounding swap I've come across seems to be the Dana 300. The question here is would I have to swap out the rear end since my current one is offset to match the QT? I wouldn't mind swaping in some W/T axles if I could find them, but my current ones were just completely gone through with new joints, bearings, seals, etc.

The other kicker is that I'm also considering swapping the TH400 for a 700R4 tranny for the overdrive gear. Obviously I'd have a small fortune in custom adapters to mate everything up, so is there another good t-case alternative that would negate the trans-to-tcase adapter with the 700R4? Would like to be able to go twin-stick as well, which throws another wrench in the cogs.

Anyways, I'm open for any and all suggestions.

JeepsAndGuns
05-11-2005, 08:09 PM
My 79 cherokee used to have the t-400/q-trac in it. I ended up swaping all that out for a t-18/d-20 from a J-10. The dana 20 has the centered rear output and I still use the offset rear axle with no problems. To get rid of the q-trac you will have to swap both the tailhousing and the output shaft on the t-400. I would go with either a d-20 or a d-300. The d-300 is a little stronger thatn the d-20. or if you have a bunch of money you could get a atlas.

mrtazwrench
05-11-2005, 08:21 PM
if you go with the 700r4 look for a chev case with pass drop, something from a pre 88 chev truck. :-|

Bulltear Ad