PDA

View Full Version : Bearing Jig

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Gremlin4ever
05-12-2005, 08:58 AM
I'm in the rebuilding process of a 401 and have been searching for bearings. I have found out (from a phone call to Performance American Style) that Federal Mogul has bought most of the bearing companies out as well as the newer generation of engines doesn't require the oil hole in the rod bearings, not sure of the mains. I was told I would need to drill a hole and thought it would be nice to have a Jig to place each half of the rod bearings in so the drilled hole would never be off. Plus it would make the drilling process faster, easyer and fail proof.

What does everyone think?

Mudrat
05-15-2005, 04:35 PM
Good thought, but why not just vise-up a piece of 90* angle iron, center under the quill and drill away to the proper size?

Pat

Gremlin4ever
05-30-2005, 08:20 AM
Good thought, but why not just vise-up a piece of 90* angle iron, center under the quill and drill away to the proper size?

Pat

And whats to keep the bit from trying to walk on ya? Center punching could possibly damage the bearing.

Soylent_Green
05-30-2005, 09:15 PM
Use a short bit. since the bearing is not very thick, why not use a 'not very long' drill bit?

Just a thought. :-|

Mudrat
05-31-2005, 12:39 PM
And whats to keep the bit from trying to walk on ya? Center punching could possibly damage the bearing.
:-| :-| :-|
Drill slowly, don't let the bit walk :wink:
Or, since this is just the outsdie of the bearing - file a flat spot. That way the bit won't walk on ya :? 111!!!

Ok, ok ... what kind of jig design do you have in mind? Something with the ID the same OD as the bearing? You'd have to have a bunch of them for different sizes :!:

Gremlin4ever
06-20-2005, 02:07 PM
Finnaly got my rod bearings and took all of it to the machine shop, no drilling necessary because there no hole leading to the wrist pin.

So I guess we can scratch this idea! :razz:

Mudrat
06-20-2005, 02:44 PM
Finnaly got my rod bearings and took all of it to the machine shop, no drilling necessary because there no hole leading to the wrist pin.

So I guess we can scratch this idea! :razz:
Keep the idea 'cause the bearing DO have oiling holes!!

'Rat

Gremlin4ever
06-26-2005, 09:19 AM
So, Which engine needs the holes in the rod bearings? It seems the set of rods that I have don't need them being the rods have no holes leading to the wrist pin :-|

All this is 401 stuff.

Mudrat
06-26-2005, 02:20 PM
So, Which engine needs the holes in the rod bearings? It seems the set of rods that I have don't need them being the rods have no holes leading to the wrist pin :-|

All this is 401 stuff.
My 258's and the 360 Cam bearings - I'm leaving it up to the machine shop for the 10 under crank/main bearings after the grind and polish on the crank. 360, 390, 401, dunno from first hand, but the 258's do.

Mudrat

Gremlin4ever
07-30-2005, 03:43 PM
Over in the "engine" section I ran across a 401 bearings topic. And in reading through I have discovered the answer to my question. The hole I am missing in my rod bearings isn't in the top center, it needs to be on the side. Right where the two bearings meet, so oil will leak out and be thrown all over the place.

In my phone conversation, I thought it was to send oil up the rod to oil the wrist pin. That was my basis to ask about a jig in the first place.

But what I did gather is this: Federal Mogul/Clevite 77 does not put these holes/grooves in bearings anymore. Their reasoning is that it isn't cost efficient to do so cause all newer engines coming out of the manufactures today have no need for them anymore. New design/improvement it is called.

So, we gotta do it ourselves :(:

Bulltear Ad