PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust, single or dual with cross over?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

JeepsAndGuns
05-15-2005, 08:45 AM
I am wondering about exhaust, what would be the pros/cons of a single 3in exhaust vs dual 2.5in with a cross over pipe. I will be running stock manafolds (for low end power) the single would be 2.5in from the manafolds to a custom y pipe, then 3in from there back with a 3in inlet/outlet muffler. the dual would be 2.5in from the manafolds back with dual 2.5in in/out mufflers with a cross over pipe connecting the two together to equilize the two sides. Right now I am leaning more twards the single 3in. I am currently runnung 2.5in connected together right behind the transfer case and a single 2.5in muffler that dumps right in front of the rear axle. But I am gonna be swaping in a new tranny/transfer case and when I do that I will need new exhaust.

tufcj
05-15-2005, 12:14 PM
I'm running a single 3" from factory manifolds on my CJ (EFI 360 V-8 ). For the rock crawling I do, I don't see any difference from headers and duals, or the single 2.5" I used to run.

Mine is 2.25" from the manifolds (outlet of the manifolds is 2.25"). The passenger side is turned forward (about a 135* bend) and goes above the front driveshaft and under the front of the oil pan., it then turns back and connects with the drivers side, where it goes into 3". I have a 3" high flow cat and 3" Magnaflow muffler, and it dumps in the rear. The only place it drops below the frame rail is right at the rear. I 4+ years since I had it done, I've never even scraped the exhaust. I crushed the "Y" pipe several times when it crossed under the trans.

Bob
tufcj

youdidwhat
05-19-2005, 10:01 AM
I'm not sure what kind of a rig you run, but with a TJ it is quite difficult to get a 3" pipe to go over the rear axle and as much of a pain avoiding smash factor. if your running a V8 I would say duels, any thing smaller go for a three inch pipe with HIflow cat. and a glass pack (depending on your states emitions test) thats what I have on my 4.0 and it is more than I think that engine will ever need.

JeepsAndGuns
05-19-2005, 04:26 PM
I guess what its going on would help....lol
Its for my 79 cherokee, AMC 401.

Goose
05-21-2005, 11:00 AM
On a dual exhaust system the balance tube or "H" pipe between the two sides will boost your bottom end torque by a noticeable margin, I have an 84 J-10 with 2.5 duals and the "H" behind the tail shaft on the T-case.. IT works very well, Also a inexpensive source for durable free flowing great sounding mufflers is your local NAPA or Big A get the "Can " Muffler for a 2.5 ton chevy (you know like a farm truck.) they are kinda big but at 35.00 and 2.5 in and out straight thru .. and they sound great. (you wont get em under a CJ but a FSJ has plenty of room.

Bulltear Ad