PDA

View Full Version : Oil filter bypass question (update)

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

JeepsAndGuns
05-18-2005, 05:04 PM
I have a question about the filter bypass. I am getting a new timing cover (from you guys) but it doesnt come with a new filter adapter, so I will be useing my old one. My question is does the filter bypass spring and plunger ever wear out and need replacing? I am gonna clean my old one real good and take the bypass out of it to clean it real good too. I looked at it the other night and I took a small screw driver and pushed the plunger and it was real easy to push in, is it supposed to be real easy to push? It doesnt feel like it would take mutch pressure to overcome it. Next question, if the later model one dont even have these, then is it even needed? What about just pluging it or capping it off? Anyone have any input on this. Thanks.

JeepsAndGuns
05-18-2005, 07:34 PM
To add a little more. I have two oil filter adapters. They are both in about the same shape, witch is not bad. The one on the left came off the 401 I am building, it came from a 77 cherokee, the one on the right came off a parts 360 from a 79 J-10. Is one of these any better than the other? They are both in good shape (other than being dirty) It would seem to me that the one on the right would be a little better, looks to me like it would flow better cause the oil has almost a straight shot, as opposed to the other one haveing the 90 degree bend in the flow. Does it make a diffrence?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/JeepsAndGuns/fire003.jpg

jeepsr4ever
05-18-2005, 10:24 PM
I looked at it the other night and I took a small screw driver and pushed the plunger and it was real easy to push in, is it supposed to be real easy to push?

That is exactly why they are bad news. It doesnt take scratch to open them. Think about how much pressure it would take to open them when the oil is flowing? Did you know that the oil flow in the engine acts as a suction and opens the filter bypass. It was poorly engineered

As far as oil flow..the volume seen by a AMC V8 will never know the the difference in friction between those two filter adaptors

pyagid
05-19-2005, 06:06 AM
Like you said the newer ones dont have a bypass. I believe you could tap and plug it in the older ones

-Paul

JeepsAndGuns
05-19-2005, 04:30 PM
Like you said the newer ones dont have a bypass. I believe you could tap and plug it in the older ones

-Paul

So doing this will have no ill effects? I have a good set of taps and it would be nothing to tap the hole and put a small plug in it.

pyagid
05-20-2005, 06:38 AM
My dad just did that yesterday, and his Oil pressure is much better now. But he has some other issues with his bypass that i will start a new post about

-Paul

JeepsAndGuns
05-20-2005, 02:24 PM
fixed it today. Since I didnt have a tap big enough to tap the hole in the filter housing, I decided to tap the little tear drop shaped metal plate under the filter thread thingy. I used a 7/16-20 tap and taped the hole in it, the went to lowes and got the shortest 7/16-20 bolt I could find, 1in. I threaded it into it but the head wouldnt sit flush because the threads lacked about 1/16in from going to the head of the bolt, I couldnt find a washer that would work so I took back out my trusty tap/die set and continued the threads to the head of the bolt. I am installing the bolt from the bottom, so the head is where the spring/plunger used to be. So next I took the bolt and rounded off the head with my 4 1/2 grinder to where it would fit in the hole, then put a cut off wheel on it and cut the bolt to be flush. Now all I have to di is put somne red locktight on the threads, and tighten it down with a pair of pliers. I can take some pics of the finished product if anyone wants, if you dont understand what I did.

pyagid
05-20-2005, 02:38 PM
I think my dad said he was able to put a 5/8" helicoil in and then a plug....but your way sounds like it works as well

-Paul

Bulltear Ad