PDA

View Full Version : 360 Build Recommendations

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

MrFurious
05-23-2005, 01:54 AM
I'm going to be building up a new 360 to put in the Cherokee, and since this will be my first complete build (and first anything with an AMC motor) I'm looking for advice and recommendations. The Chero will mostly see road duty as my daily driver, but the occassional off-road excursion isn't to be ruled out. In other words, I'm aiming for a good increase in power with minimal effect on driveability.

Naturally the block, crank and rods will be checked out to make sure they're good to go by the local machine shop. From what I've read here, opening the oil passages to the mains is almost a must on these engines. What I'm not sure about is the lifter valley bypass mod. Like the idea, but would it have any side effects on a street motor? For now the heads will remain mostly stock to save on $$ until I can save up the bones for the Edelbrock replacements.

As for components, here's a list of what I'm planning to use (note sizes haven't been mentioned as I don't know what machining the block or crank will need)

360 Engine Rebuild Kit:
- Speed Pro Case Replacement Pistons (9.5:1 CR w/58cc heads)
- Hastings Moly Piston Rings
- Clevite 77 Rod & Main Bearings
- DuraBond Cam Bearings
- Comp Cams XE256H Camshaft
- Federal Mogul Hydraulic Lifters
- DynaGear Double Roller Timing Gear Set
- Melling Oil Pump Kit
- Pioneer Brass Freeze Plug Set
- FelPro Gasket Set
**Kit comes with a Clevite RV cam which is basically an exact copy of the Edelbrock Performer cam grind, but I like the numbers on the XE256H grind better.

Naturally BullTear will be getting a good chunck of my money for the following parts:
- Cam & Distributor Gear Set
- Comp Cams Cam (mentioned above)
- Comp Cams Valve Springs
- Timing Cover/Oil Pump Housing
- Stainless Steel Midplate
- Underdrive Crank Pulley
- Nickel Plated T-stat Housing
- Edelbrock Performer Intake (non-EGR)
- Edelbrock 650cfm Off-Road Carb
- Edelbrock Coated Shorty Headers w/o AIR Tubes

Other odds and ends:
- Flow Kooler Water Pump
- FelPro Valley Pan Gasket (not included in their kit)
- Valve Covers & Air Cleaner Assembly
- New T-stat, Water Temp & Oil Pressor Senders
- Pushrods & Rockers
- HEI or TFI Distributor Setup (haven't decided yet)

So, that's the plan as it sits. Any comments, recommendations, or advice would be greatly appriciated.

jeepsr4ever
05-23-2005, 08:58 AM
Jim

You can get away without installing the lifter valley line or drilling the mains by using the cam bearings we modify here. We drill and chamfer a .201 hole to make the crankshaft the priority for the oiling system. Otherwise looks like your setting up to build a very very nice engine :idea:

MrFurious
05-25-2005, 04:00 PM
Hey MC, you guys don't happen to offer a comparible rebuild kit to the one I listed above do you? The one I listed runs $495, but if you can throw something similar together (with your drilled cam & main bearings and the XE256H cam) I'd go that route. Figure if you can do me a kit with the cam I want it would save me $135 in buying it separately.

I won't be doing this until this fall unless something catastrophic happens beforehand, so no big rush to get me an answer. I'm just trying to get all my ducks in a row so I'm not scrambling for part sources when the time comes.

yzfone
06-01-2005, 07:59 AM
Mr. Furious
If you dont mind telling me, where are you getting this engine kit as I plan on doing the same thing when I get back from Iraq.
Thanks

MrFurious
06-01-2005, 11:15 AM
Basically because its one of the only ones I've found that offers brand name components and it's under $500. Also, the increased compression ratio will help build a little more power (9.5:1 compared to 8.5:1 stock with 58cc heads).

Bulltear Ad