PDA

View Full Version : wiring

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

'86CJ
06-01-2005, 12:13 PM
I need some help cleaning up my wiring harness on a 86 cj w/258 6cyl and 999 automatic.I don't plan on using any of the factory gauges. So I need to know what I can do without. I have a HEI distributor and a manual choke.
thanks

Mudrat
06-06-2005, 09:53 AM
'86?? What are you looking to have as a finished product? It's no problem dumping the original gauges, but the wiring harness already has the sensors wired for ya - just use those wires with the new gauges???

Pat

Dusty
06-06-2005, 12:18 PM
If it is like my 81 scrambler harness..... Red 10ga is the battery hot lead Red 10ga with white chaser is the ignition switch hot lead. my understanding is both are to be attached to the battery as constant 12volt hot leads to the fuse panel.

The light blue wire is your ignition sw wire for the single post on your selenoid.

The tan wire is your heater wire

i have heard that some people use the red 14 ga wire for the eletric choke as it is hot in the run and in the start positions, as the lead for a relay to run the DUI distributor. using the relay and then runing a hot lead fromt eh battery to the relay then to the distributor

The 4 wires that have the flat plug go to your backup switch, 4wd indicator ect i didnt need them and then the eletric gauge wires i eliminated them also

I have the edelbrock fuel injection so from what i could tell they want 1 12v to the battery, i tied that into the red 10 gauge wire for the main harnessand then they want 1 wire to the ignition switch which i tied into my blue wire and then a ground But i think im wrong here and im going to post a seperate thread
:(:

'86CJ
06-14-2005, 08:25 AM
I think that I'm going to see if painless offers just the engine compartment harness so I can start over. My harness got soaked with oil
before I owned the jeep I removed the flex-cover and wiped the wires but there are several junctions that don't look good and the end toward the solenoid has been down against the the block.
Thanks for the replies.
Lee

Bendaman
06-14-2005, 02:24 PM
I'm wiring my 84 Cj with a painless wiring kit, much better than trying
to figure out that old harness. It is also alot neater too =D> =D> =D>

Bulltear Ad