PDA

View Full Version : Yike i might be in over my head and there is only 12 wires

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Dusty
06-07-2005, 10:17 AM
Just want to verify that I am reading the harness diagrams correctly. Because i have thuroughly confused myself in this past week reading, studying and isolating wires but i have every wire labled and isolated now im just confused how each hooks up and to what position ect.

There is only something like 12 wires i need to hook up but i want to be very careful in how i do this as the wrong setup might cook the computer

The CJ diagram shows the

The 10 ga Red wire with white chaser as going from the battery post on the hot side of the solenoid to the ignition switch.

The 10 ga Red wire is attached right to the Battery

The light blue 14 ga wire is the solenoid cranking wire for activating the solenoid (the solenoid is a three post solenoid)

The light tan wire goes to the heater

The Orange short lead is the under hood light switch.

I have isolated the 4WD indicator wire, the reverse switch wire, electric choke (red 16 ga) and the oil pressure and water temp wires, the lean run wire ect. And do not see a need for them as everything else on this rig is mechanical or controlled by the Edelbrock fuel injection harness.

The Edelbrock diagram shows 4 wires needing to be attached to the CJ harness, the Orange wire as going to a 12 volt battery lead (I am assuming it needs to be hot all the time?), the black as being the ground, the brown as the tachometer and the last wire as going to an ignition switch.

So the only way I am seeing this is the computer needs a constant hot provided by the orange wire being tied to the Red 10ga lead that is constantly hooked to the battery.
I think the ignition switch wire (light blue on the CJ harness) might not be the right wire to tie the Fuel injection harness ignition wire into because it is only switched when cranking the engine over, would the electric choke wire be a good lead since it is on in the crank and the run positions and then is switched off when the key is turned off? Otherwise if the computer is tied via its orange wire to my red battery lead in the main harness and the computer will be activated when the key is turned on by the ignition wire but will shut off as soon as the key is turned back to the run position. What other wire under the hood in the stock harness is switched run and crank?

Far as I can tell testing wires both 10ga red and red/white wires need to be hooked to the battery and have constant 12volt charges running through them. Am I incorrect because without both being powered, the crank wire to the solenoid won’t activate and crank the engine over?

Finally I am using a 1 wire GM alternator, just to check I am planning on using a run of 8 Ga wire from the charge post on the alternator straight to the Battery. For now then later when I get the isolator installed I will attach it to the isolator which will then distribute it to battery 1 or battery 2

Mudrat
06-07-2005, 07:59 PM
Beyond me Bro - don't know what the FI comp-u-tater needs..

Pat

Bulltear Ad