PDA

View Full Version : cam bearings

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

chero82
06-08-2005, 06:47 PM
I have a 304 that is not getting oil to the top end. I think it is possibly a cam bearing. That said, can I pull the engine, timing cover, gears, and lifters and replace the cam bearings without tearing down the bottom end?

thanks,
Terry

jeepsr4ever
06-08-2005, 06:55 PM
It is never the cam bearings...I would look to replacing or cleaning your pushrods. Also possible it may be your lifters

chero82
06-08-2005, 07:01 PM
All the push rods are clean. I can pull the valve covers, run it up to 2000 rpm and there is barely any oil from any of the push rods. I was thinking it might be the front cam bearing had spun and closed the passage.

jeepsr4ever
06-08-2005, 10:46 PM
if that was the case you would get more oil to the top...I am willing to bet your lifters are clogged......thats what feed the top end

chero82
06-08-2005, 11:23 PM
I appreciate the help. i'll let you know what I find

J4GRAND
06-09-2005, 07:55 AM
It is never the cam bearings...

I beg to differ. A lot of high mileage 360s I've seen have had cooked cam bearings including mine. It's the old top oiling problems with AMCs. In this case I don't suspect it is bad cam bearings but rather bad lifters.

pyagid
06-09-2005, 08:51 AM

I beg to differ. A lot of high mileage 360s I've seen have had cooked cam bearings including mine. It's the old top oiling problems with AMCs. In this case I don't suspect it is bad cam bearings but rather bad lifters.

I would think the cam bearings go bad due to the bad top oiling, not that the cam bearings being bad are causing bad flow to the top of the motor.

-Paul

fuzz401
06-09-2005, 09:26 AM
the only thing I have ever seen with the cam bearings is the front one opens up enough and drains the oil from going to the rest of the motor and droping the oil pressure

jeepsr4ever
06-09-2005, 02:43 PM

I guess i should have been a little more clear...It isnt ever the cam bearings that cause that big of a lack of oil to the top end. The top end is oiled better than the mains...same with the camshaft. In the AMC V8 the oil goes to the lifters and cam long before it gets to the mains. Kind of like going through the garage and the backyard to a fridge to get a cold one :?:

Bulltear Ad