PDA

View Full Version : 401/ 727 compatibility

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

peter
06-13-2005, 11:46 PM
Forgive me if this has already been covered...I searchead for a few hours and didn't find the info.

Been trying to bolt a 401 to a 727 that previously had a 360 for a partner and discovered the pilot diameter of the 401 crank is smaller and the old converter won't go #-o I already bought the 401 flexplate but didn't realize the converter was engine specific too.

Does this mean buying a torque converter that is 401 specific or am I just a numbskull and can't see some removable bushing in the end of the crank?

I am leaving for a competition wed. moring and need to get this thing together asap. Ordering a new converter would take too long so I am looking at any other options.

Any help would be appreciated

Peter Wells

jeepsr4ever
06-14-2005, 06:14 AM
The converter is not engine specific. You have a small ring inside your crankshaft pilot hole probly for a th400. Look really hard at the hole...you should be able to pull the sleeve out.

peter
06-14-2005, 06:26 AM
Thanks!

I'll go check it out asap.

peter
06-14-2005, 08:39 AM
Ok, there was a sleeve there...I feel kinda dumb for not seeing it 111!!! but with the rust it was hard to see unless you knew what to look for.

That MF was tight!

Thanks again
Peter

Bulltear Ad