PDA

View Full Version : No oil pressure after rebuild

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

cj777
06-20-2005, 03:28 PM
I just got done with my rebuild. Engine runs fine sounds great. I had doubts about my old oil pressure gage working correctly, so bought a new mechanical one today. After the engine warmed up it dropped to 5 psi. The timing cover, gears, spring, and adapter were all replaced with parts ordered from here. Everything litereally was replaced in the rebuild process. I did not try to get the air out of the line yet, could this make that big of a difference? Any other suggestions?

Lifted79CJ7
06-20-2005, 03:33 PM
Yup, air in your line could make a big difference on your guage. You could also undo the mechanical line at the block, pull the distributor, spin the oil pump with a drill and try to hold your finger over the hole to see if you feel pressure. Just a thought.....

cj777
06-20-2005, 07:04 PM
Ok I'll try to get the air out tomorrow. Thanks for the reply.

jeepsr4ever
06-21-2005, 07:40 AM
Yeah let us know right away.... you can pull the coil wire and have someone hold the end of the tube as you turn it over oil will come out and splash all over unless you have it in a bottle or bucket...then attach it when the motor stops spinning. That should give you a accurate reading

Lifted79CJ7
06-21-2005, 03:15 PM
#-o OK MC, your way sounds easier!! Showoff! 8)

cj777
06-22-2005, 07:23 AM
Ok I got all of the air out of the line and still have no pressure. At first start up I have about 45 psi at idle, then it goes down to 20, then down to 5 at idle and 10 with throttle. Please let me know anything this could be; I spend too much on this rebuild and don't want to kill it. I have studied this site religiously during the rebuild process, and followed everything to a T. What could be doing this?

jeepsr4ever
06-22-2005, 07:28 AM
Hmmm That is too low. We will blueprint the timing cover for you free of charge if you send it back but I am thinking a bad clearance issue in the bearings somewhere

pyagid
06-22-2005, 07:39 AM
also try a different guage. My jeep was having similiar problems at one point, and it was due to the gauge being bad, even though it was new

-Paul

tufcj
06-22-2005, 10:00 AM
Is your oil pickup spaced properly from the bottom of the pan? Were the cam bearings replaced during the rebuild, and were they indexed properly to the oil passages?

Just a couple of things I could think of.

Bob
tufcj

bushwackertn
06-23-2005, 04:25 PM
I had a problem with a 304 once and it was the cam bearings, they had been installed wrong at the machine shop.

My Two Cents Worth.....

Keep us posted on what you find though......

cj777
06-27-2005, 01:02 AM
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you guys. I have been out of town and away from a computer since Tues. The cam bearings are the only part of the engine that I just trusted the machine shop with. I will try another new gauge tomorrow, but if I have the same results, what is the easiest way to check the cam bearings (hopefully not involving pulling it and taking it apart to the bare block again), and what should I be on the lookout for? Thanks for your help. I apologize for my ignorance, but this machine shop was recommended to me by other jeepers for rebuilding AMC's well, so I didn't even bother to double check the cam bearings

J20
07-29-2005, 07:30 AM
So what was the problem?

abnsigo
04-25-2006, 10:08 PM
I am having the exact same problem! Just got the motor back in my Jeep and have very low pressure when I cranked it up. I'm getting about 10-12 at startup and then it drops to 3-5. Thought my gauge was bad so I bought a mechanical gauge. I have the same pressure readings. The cam bearings are the only things I let the machine shop replace. What can y'all tell me about this?

jeepsr4ever
04-26-2006, 05:20 AM
!!!!!!!!!!!

Make sure your plunger in your oil filter adaptor is installed correctly and isnt stuck open.

Bulltear Ad