PDA

View Full Version : new motor ?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

cj5steve
06-22-2005, 10:57 AM
well i got the new motor running.it is a 78 360,10 to 1 ross pistons,edelbrock aluminum heads,summit 8601 cam and lifters,performer intake,and edelbrock 600 carb.when i was breaking in the cam my headers were glowing red,and the exhaust seemed to be real hot.we are going to put it on a timing light and recheck the rocker adjustment.is there anything else to look for.aside from all that my radiator is cracked by the bottom hose.oil pressure looks good,and she sounds mean.i cant wait to drive it. :t:

jeepsr4ever
06-22-2005, 11:12 AM
Yeah sounds like the timing is off to me...But hey at leat you got her in and running!!!! Keep us updated!

J4GRAND
06-23-2005, 07:35 AM
Also check that your fuel mixture is set properly. If the carb is running rich, the unburnt fuel will make the pipes glow red. I set up a 750 cfm Edelbrock on my 73 J4000 by running the mixture screws all the way in then back out about two turns.

cj5steve
06-24-2005, 12:11 PM
well she ate the dizzy gear and the cam gear on breakin.not happy.

jeepsr4ever
06-24-2005, 03:18 PM
Check your pm's and reply back here please

cj5steve
07-01-2005, 12:29 AM
i went to the junkyard and pulled a distributor out of a 360 and broght it home.i checked measurments on length, from the base against the timing cover to the top of the gear and it is dead on.so my new distributor is probably good(tell me if i am wrong).i ran the oil pump with a drill and oil came out of the cam gear,so the cam and bearings and timing set etc. is all good.what else could there be aside from mismacthed gears.i ordered a set of macthed bulltear gears that i am hoping will fix this,but i would like to know if there is somthing else i could check.thanks for the help.by the way the gear on the junkyard dist.was in great shape and i am thinking about going back this weekend to get the cam gear and just running them because they look so good they must be macthed very well.im talking almost new looking.it sounds terrible to run junkyard parts for somthing like that,but if they look as good as they do how bad can it be?thanks. :-|

bushwackertn
07-06-2005, 08:02 PM
I think that would start out by taking the oil pan off, and get those little bits of the teeth out before I ran that engine any more if I were you.
By the time you get that done you might have the matched gears from bulltear. I would also put some assembly lube on them, when installed. Then when you install the distr. dip it in a oil bottle and coat the gear with oil, then out of the oil bottle and into the engine.

cj5steve
07-07-2005, 10:00 PM
well she is running again!i got a chance to drive it today wow.this is alot of motor in a little cj5.i still need to time it right and play with the carb alittle bit but hell yeah it rips.i am going to break some parts with this thing.i put it in 4 low and left the front hubs unlocked and took it around the yard today,i just bumped the gas and shredded my yard.i have a couple mud bogs coming up in august i cant wait to see what shes got.there is a guy with a 401 who has been beating me the last couple of years, i think i got somthing for him this year. :t:

Bulltear Ad