PDA

View Full Version : 401 Rod bearings

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

HotJimmy
06-22-2005, 05:05 PM
Ordered new rod bearings for my 401 before i put it back together. recieved them today, but they are physically different. My old ones are the same part #, but have a hole on the opposite end of the keyway, new ones have no hole. :-| whats up with that?? big deal? the only number difference is above the part number on the clivite part number. the old ones have a 3 stamped and the new have a 6.
Thanks

jeepsr4ever
06-22-2005, 07:27 PM
hmm that is strange..I just used some of those and they had the oil holes. :-|

fuzz401
06-23-2005, 05:48 AM
I would send them back with out that hole no oil gets out to the cyl wall

JeepsAndGuns
06-23-2005, 05:08 PM
I just read this post then I went and looked at my rod bearings for my 401 and I see no holes. Does anyone have a pic of what the hole looks like? The box on mines says CB-819 P-10. Supposed to be for AMC 401 in .10 undersize. I ordered these a long time ago and have probably lost the reciept, now what am I supposed to do?

Mudrat
06-23-2005, 08:52 PM
I just read this post then I went and looked at my rod bearings for my 401 and I see no holes. Does anyone have a pic of what the hole looks like? The box on mines says CB-819 P-10. Supposed to be for AMC 401 in .10 undersize. I ordered these a long time ago and have probably lost the reciept, now what am I supposed to do?
Drill press and a chamfer tool?

jeepsr4ever
06-23-2005, 09:03 PM
Drill press and a chamfer tool?

:shock:

HotJimmy
06-23-2005, 11:17 PM
Mine were the same part number. Sent them back to summit and ordered Federal Mogul's. we'll see when they arrive how they look.

JeepsAndGuns
06-24-2005, 06:58 AM
I looked at the rods and see where the hole is suposed to be, it doesnt look like it needs to be very big. I was thinking about useing a small tirangle shaped file and fileing a small notch, then finish it with a small round file. I would use probably the smallest files I could find, since it looks like the hole doesnt need to very big. I would file from the inside out eatch time, to try and keep from hurting them.

Only thing else I could think of doing is order a new set of rod bearings, smae brand and part number, and hopefully they will have the hole, then return the ones I have telling them they were the ones I just ordered and that there was supposed to be a oil hole in them, but there wasnt. I dont think they wouldnt know the diffrence since they are the same part and all. When I get home from work I am gonna do some heavy searching for that reciept.

HotJimmy
06-25-2005, 07:03 PM
Summit sent completely wrong federal bearings! :(: The only ones they have in stock are the clivite ones i just sent back. Their only explanation is that maybe clivite doesn't make them with the hole any more. They checked and double checked for me, sooooo..........?????????

I don't have the balls to make my own hole, so I'll be the test dummie i guess. New set should be here monday.

tufcj
06-25-2005, 07:19 PM
http://www.kingbearings.com/

I've never dealt with them myself, but they were recommended.

Bob
tufcj

Gremlin4ever
07-30-2005, 03:34 PM
Now I understand it all!

I started a thread in "product ideas" about a jig for drilling the needed holes in the bearings. I was in understanding that the hole needed to be in the very center of one side to match a hole in the connecting rod under the "I beam" section that would lead oil to the wrist pin.

My rods had no hole there and I haven't looked that hard at where the cap contacts the rod for a hole or groove.

Carification: When I ordered the bearings from PerformanceAMstyle.com, I had a conversation with them and was told I needed to drill a hole in my bearings cause Federal Mogul has bought out Clevite 77 and it is cost efficient for them not to drill the bearings at the factory 111!!!

So, I have this all figured out now :lo1l:

Whoo hoo! but, now I got to rectify the bearings when I get them back.

Hope this cleared up your bearing problems as well.

HotJimmy
08-02-2005, 11:37 PM
Well my 401 has been running strong for about a month now. I installed the clevites without the hole. I have not been nice to it since the install and found my next problem is my oil pan. I just spent the weekend in the dunes and found that I am losing oil psi on big ones where my motor stays tached out.
So I found I'm running my pan dry and if I keep my rpm's down i keep oil to my motor. Milidon is my next purchase
So...mine works with abuse without the oil holes :lo1l:

Bulltear Ad