PDA

View Full Version : All Tube Nochers are Created Equal - or are they?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

XtremeOverKill
06-26-2005, 03:31 PM
What would you reccomend for a tube nocher.

I've seen some things on ebay for $39.00 then others for $216 - whats the difference?

I don't mind paying for the more expensive unit if it will be the last one I buy, and be able to do everything I could ever want with it. But I'd hate to buy 3 cheap nochers and always have sub-par results.

Anyone out there have a reccomendation? I'd greatly appreciate some insight.

Bendaman
06-26-2005, 03:49 PM
I have a Pro-tools Nocther, a hole saw style. It is thier upper end unit with the adjustable v-block for off-set notches. With this style, I've had some
difficulty doing nocthes of 50degrees or more. Good quality holes saws go a long way in making nice tight nocthes. I use mine in a larger drill press
with low head speed and a little cutting oil. If you can keep all the teeth on the hole saw, they do last quite a while. I have a buddy who has a end-mill style nocther (it kicks butt) however at a little over $3200 it better.
Hope that helps :wink:

Mudrat
06-29-2005, 06:09 PM
I too have the Pro Tools 'Racer' version (http://www.xtremecrawlers.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=72_103&products_id=213) ($180 now, but ask Keith for a discount, he's been flexible in the past). I've only done 15-16 cuts with it (all with the same hole saw, without the bit of course). The only problem I've had with it is recentering the bit after an off center cut. I finally used a couple scrap pieces of DOM to verify center.
I got mine from Keith off the 4x4Fabricators (http://www.xtremecrawlers.com/catalog) forum.

Pat

tufcj
06-29-2005, 07:52 PM
I have a "cheapie" $60 Harbor Freight notcher. I put it in my drill press and use a good DeWalt hole saw. It isn't centered quite perfectly on the tube (maybe 1/8" off), but plenty good for the few pieces I made for my Jeep. It's easier than trying to make a notch with a grinding wheel.

Bob
tufcj

jeepsr4ever
06-29-2005, 08:18 PM
What would you reccomend for a tube nocher.

I've seen some things on ebay for $39.00 then others for $216 - whats the difference?

I don't mind paying for the more expensive unit if it will be the last one I buy, and be able to do everything I could ever want with it. But I'd hate to buy 3 cheap nochers and always have sub-par results.

Anyone out there have a reccomendation? I'd greatly appreciate some insight.

Hey man :mrgreen:

XtremeOverKill
07-01-2005, 08:45 PM
MAD props to the man MC!!!

Sorry I've been quiet / non-existant lately
Started a new job and it's really been consuming my time.

Thanks for the feed guys. I really appreciate it

Bulltear Ad