PDA

View Full Version : Bench Grinders - What's good, what's not

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

XtremeOverKill
07-01-2005, 08:53 PM
Ok guys - I'm seeking info again:

I finally broke mine last night - sparks went flying - and then it started turning backwards.... i have no idea... then the smoke started comming out and I pulled the plug.

So now on to grinders.
Harbor freight has a 2HP unit - largest HP I've seen - 10" that spins at 1750 RPM - for $109.00 - Central machine is the brand

Dad goes out tonight and spends $70.00 on a 6" Craftsman grinder with 3450 RPM.

What would you guys suggest...?
General use will be - HA - for any and everything in my little garage. Eventually I'd like to build a crawler, and a quality product means more to me than cheap at this point.

-Thanks in advance

Mudrat
07-02-2005, 09:05 PM
I've been running an 8" Central Machinery (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90022) for about 3 years with the original stones without problem. And that's been a full frame off resto on an 85 and some work on the 87, and the trailerS and tractors and ... well, you get the picture :mrgreen:
I also got a couple of the little metal gizmo's to keep the stones square (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=41890)
But don't believe the "...builds speed instantly ..." part. It doesn't take long, but those 2 stones are heavy and there is some lag time, but the torque is good :t: I can't complain about it's performance - and it's been used and abused!! I need to replace both the safety shields now :oops:

Pat

XtremeOverKill
07-03-2005, 09:37 PM
Alright I broke down and went with a Northern Hydraulic's unit

3/4 HP 8" 3400 speed.... and MAN it has some great bearings

Powered up, shut down, timed it till it stopped spinning 3:20 - read 3 minutes and 20 seconds after fliping the switch it stoped spinning.

Thanks Mud - preciate the input.

Mudrat
07-03-2005, 10:20 PM
Thanks Mud - preciate the input.
нисколько не затруднит
"No trouble"

Pat :lo1l:

Bulltear Ad