PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust system / CA emissions AHH!

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Red
07-12-2005, 10:40 AM
Hey folks!

I fiiiinally just got my AMC 360 running. I've got a '79 AMC Cherokee two door, and the whole ignition system went out at once. After replacing the coil, ignition control unit, distributor, then retiming it, the starter just happened to go out. I took it off and it looked like the stock '79 starter, it was totally shot. After $15 to replace it, I started 'er up and she ran like a champ! Only.. I discovered several rust holes have developed throughout the whole exhaust system, and after running for ten minutes or so, the engine compartment was pouring out exhaust fumes. Oops.

I need to replace the whole exhaust system, but at the same time, I need to pass a California smog inspection. After I do that, I can do whatever I want. ;) Can anyone help?

:razz:

Mudrat
07-12-2005, 05:34 PM
Red - what's the question? I read your trials and tribulations, but don't know what you want help on??

Mudrat

jeepsr4ever
07-12-2005, 05:39 PM
Now this is bad advice but If I had to pass emissions I would run it hot and have a couple of holes in the tailpipes....... :idea:

Red
07-12-2005, 06:24 PM
Red - what's the question? I read your trials and tribulations, but don't know what you want help on??

Mudrat

I'm not sure what the best route is to replace my exhaust system. Where should I go? Are parts common, do any of you wanna sell your mostly pristine stock exhaust system? This thing passed smog before with the stock system, and I haven't changed anything but upgrading the ignition coil. I pretty much need to replace the whole thing. Manifold, pipes, muffler, tailpipe, seals, etc.

Mudrat
07-13-2005, 05:15 AM
... pristine??? ... stock????...... exhaust system?

I have 2 sets of stock intakes and exhaust sitt'n under my shop - but their for a 258 :roll:

Mudrat

Red
07-13-2005, 10:03 AM
... pristine??? ... stock????...... exhaust system?

..Yeah I was joking. ;) Sorry.

I have 2 sets of stock intakes and exhaust sitt'n under my shop - but their for a 258 :roll:

Mudrat

If you had to replace your whole exhaust system, where'd ya go to do it?

Mudrat
07-13-2005, 01:40 PM
On a Jeep I'd do the headers and have a shop fab the rest. On the Dodge, the dealer!!! To much crap inthe way on the Hemi for me to get done efficently :razz:

Dusty
07-18-2005, 04:26 PM
You are in Freemont there is a guy down by San Jose called Muffler Bob who does really good work on Jeeps from what i hear and have seen. Like Pat said do the headers yourself then fire it up and drive it down open headers and all to a muffler shop have then do the Cat, muffler and pipes.

Red
07-18-2005, 04:49 PM
You are in Freemont there is a guy down by San Jose called Muffler Bob who does really good work on Jeeps from what i hear and have seen. Like Pat said do the headers yourself then fire it up and drive it down open headers and all to a muffler shop have then do the Cat, muffler and pipes.

Sweet thanks! Gonna be givin' Muffler Bob a jingle. =D

Dusty
07-18-2005, 04:56 PM
he owns a nice CJ7 IIRC ran into him on Fordyce creek once.

I think this is his shop, im having a hard time reading my hand writing as i was not exactly cohearant at the time (i was the passenger and doing my part to support Coors brewing company. best i can tell this number and company seems to be it, but you'll have to verify that its the same bob. Sorry i cant be much more help

Cal-state muffler and brake
(408) 946-4341 312 S Main St
Milpitas, CA

Lifted79CJ7
07-18-2005, 06:48 PM
Like Pat said do the headers yourself then fire it up and drive it down open headers and all to a muffler shop have then do the Cat, muffler and pipes.

Ha ha ha, I always love doing this.....

rollen dean montoya
07-18-2005, 06:57 PM
thats the problem with the ca smog nazi's. i gotta do the exaust on the eagle soon. probably take it to the guy who did my 77 pontiac formula
firebird with the 403 olds.

Dusty
07-19-2005, 12:14 AM
Or do like some others do who own a post 1975 cj buy a pre 1975 cj that is rusted out from out of state that doesnt run for $100-300 have it vin verified drill the rivets install pre 1975 vin plate and license plates in place of the one on the post 1975 rig then install the post 75 vin plate and plates onto the pre 75 rig. take the now post 75 rust bucket to a wrecking yard with the correct title and let them have it or take it to a crusher then drive the newly dubd pre 75 rig. since you owned both rigs claim no one will ever come looking for anything else. cj titles just say jeep cj or jeep util on the title early ones dont designate and with jeep cjs when a restoration is done bodys and frames from all years interchange and are regularly used.

I can think of alot of rigs including a red cj7 owned by Edelbrock and used in thier Adds and a couple owned by the 4Wheel magazine that all have done this and talk regularly about having 401's ect in thier rigs 2+2 will tell you what they did.

Bulltear Ad