PDA

View Full Version : no oil pressure

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

cj5steve
07-19-2005, 12:16 PM
well here we go again.78 360 with new bulltear nickle plated timing cover and filter adapter,and new gears.motor runs very strong with no knocks.but there is no pressure at the gauge.i put in a new gauge before starting the motor for the first time and it read real good.during breakin i ate my cam gear and dizzy gear so i tore it all apart and replaced those parts after that it is all good again.after driving it for a couple of days the gauge reads nothing.so i took the line off the back of the gauge and nothing comes out,i went and bought another copper line hooked it up and nothing,took the line back off of the gauge and with the motor running it just barely drips.so i took the line off at the fittings on the block and with the motor running it squirts out maybe 3 inch long stream i can block the hole with my finger and it wont blow my finger off.what do i do now.i am scared for my motors health.but it does not knock and still has all kinds of power and it is not over heating.any ideas before i destroy my new motor?

jeepsr4ever
07-19-2005, 12:25 PM
Boy did you rememebr to install the plunger in front of the spring???

tufcj
07-19-2005, 01:12 PM
My thought is along the same line. Maybe a chip of metal in the pressure relief valve has it stuck open. I'd remove the spring and plunger, make sure it all slides freely, and maybe flush it out with some carb cleaner. The only other unlikely thing is that the oil pump gear is spinning on the shaft.

Bob
tufcj

jeepsr4ever
07-19-2005, 09:27 PM
Is your pickup loose or damaged?

cj5steve
07-19-2005, 11:04 PM
well i came home from work tonight and tore it apart.i dont see anything wrong.the plunger was all the way in and i cant spin the gear on the shaft at least not by hand.the plunger was a little sticky in the hole but i dont think it was enough to hold back the spring pressure i smacked it off the work bench a few times and it slide out.i sprayed everything with carb cleaner and worked the plunger a few times and now it moves nice and smooth.i took the fittings out of the block and they are nice and clean inside.the oil pump cavity is still in very nice shape.when i put this motor together i had a 1/4"thick nut brazed to the bottom of the pickup so i could not suck fast to the bottom of the pan.the oil that i drained out of the motor was very clean.i dont know what else to do i will put it back together before work tommorow and see if anything has changed.i am at a total loss on this one and it is driving me nuts.its time for some beers now so see ya later ill let you know how i made out tommorrow night.wish me and my motor luck.

shawn
07-20-2005, 10:27 AM
Are there any oil galley plugs that have been left out? Is the pickup still attatched?

cj5steve
07-20-2005, 11:15 AM
i put it all back together today after a good bath of carb cleaner.and i have great oil pressure once again.man that is a huge load off my mind.thanks for all the help.it must have been the pressure valve. :lo1l:

jeepsr4ever
07-20-2005, 06:52 PM
Yeah if they stick open your just sucking air in circles.....soo glad you got it running right =D>

Bulltear Ad