PDA

View Full Version : need help setting timing on fresh 401

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

skyhookdutch
07-21-2005, 07:44 PM
hey guy's i have final finished my 401 and it is sitting in my wrangler, but i need help with the timing, here is what i have , a 1975 401, 30 over, speed pro piston kit, crank turned under 10-10, new bearings through out the motor, mta-1 melling cam kit , hardend push rods , heads completely redone with everything that could be done but port work they are machined for roller rockers, and guide plates, 1.6 scorpion roller rockers , edelbrock performer amc intake, edelbrock thunder series carb, msd probillet dizzy, msd 6 offroad ignition box, msd blaster 2 coil, and bulltear timing cover nickle plated oil pump housing and pump kit, stainless oil fill tube with that fancy 401 filler cap, the cooling system is a 2 row aluminum radiator with a electric fan and thermostat, well enough bragging haha,well after priming the oiling system, i brought it to top dead center (1 piston at the top)cam lobes down, lined up the oil pump shaft dropped in the dizzy, rotor pointing at 12:00, put cap on and proceded to fire up, the motor made 1 revolution and bang we have lift off, everything sounds good lifters making a touch of noise but hey just need to re-adjusted, i start the cam break-in procedure bring the r'ssss up 2000rpm and it sounds crisp i wrapped the throttle to hear how it sounds and i got back fire through the carb so i tweked the dizzy a bit and it cleared up more but now my temp is rising quite fast so i back the dizzy off and grab my timing light it appears to be at 7*btdc but back fired again through carb so i shut it down, then i ran in to a oil pressure problem" i lost it", so i called mc at bulltear and he steered in in the right path of fixing that but i wasn't able to make it to the napa to get a different filter before they closed, i had a "fram"filter and need a wix or napa, so i am tring over again tomorrow to gain pressure back and set the timing, wow i need a break this oil pressure, timing, cam break-in, carb tuning i need 4 people to help get her going at one time, this is the second motor this year in the jeep 1st was a 360 sold it off and bought a 401 if this doesnt work i have a nissian turbo diesel waiting it's turn out of a scout, oh yeah the 401 sit's in front of a torque flight 727 and dana 300

fuzz401
07-22-2005, 05:40 AM
what CR are you running in this motor ? and what cam hyd or solid?
try setting your total timing around 35 deg at 2900-3000rpm and go from there
should of looked at the air gap intake too

Bulltear Ad