PDA

View Full Version : help with a carb and intake problem, new edelbrock stuff!!!

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

skyhookdutch
07-23-2005, 05:47 PM
i have a fresh 401 that has been giving me a total fit to tune, as i was thumbing through the manual that came with my edelbrock thunder carb it shows a picture with a circle and a line through it basiclly saying no to the use of a spacer plate (q-jet) style, now i have this plate on my edelbrock amc performer when it was on my 360 with a q-jet mounted on top, so my question is do i take out the spacer plate and bolt the carb directly to the intake or put the edelbrock spacer on it? oh yeah MC gave me some advise do not run fram filters, my 401 had 5 pounds of oil pressure with a fram, he said to run a napa or wix and bam i had 25 pounds hot idle, but bad news is i am back down to 5 but oil pressure jumps up to over 45 when i wrap the throttle? thats still questionable!

youdidwhat
07-29-2005, 09:56 AM
change your oil your pressure should requlate.

if not replace the sensor you could have a faulty sensor.

better to spend a little money than alot.

edelbrok does not want you to uae the spacer because with a heavy carb like that it is easy to get leaks around the base, and physics state setting the carb on more than one gasket gives more oppertuinty for air leaks.

further if your running edelbrok on edelbrok the factory setting are fairly close to dead on. when you put the spacer on you throw the setting off. don't know where you are from but try thinning you gas and air mix for smoother running, I try to run as thin as possible at first then make a little richer untill I have reached max performance.

if you have tryed this already and had no luck double check the bottom plates for interferance.

oh that reminds me the spacer also messes with fuel air path/travel on lower load acceleration because the gas bounces offthe bottom plate then bounces offthe side wall of the extention.
where-as without the spacer it flows into the manifold and has less interferance.

kind of a catch 22 because it helps with atomazation at harder accelaration.

just my opnion.

Bulltear Ad