PDA

View Full Version : Amsoil fully synthetic oil...

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Lifted79CJ7
07-25-2005, 07:27 PM
What's everyone's thoughts? I meet a rep at the AMO show in Atlanta this past weekend. Has a lot of good tech. Crap lasts for 25,000 miles with a filter only change at 12,500 miles. I talked to him about getting the gunk out of the oil, etc and he had a lot of good points. A couple guys walked by while I was chatting with them and they wore by the stuff. One guy said it reduced his operating temperature on his 360 by 25 degrees. Anyone used it? Anyone have any pros vs cons?

jeepsr4ever
07-25-2005, 08:25 PM
hehehehe :?:

78304CJ-7
07-26-2005, 08:01 AM
I haven't used the Amsoil stuff, but I think it is a quality product. I use the RedLine shockproof oil in my diffs. I have been very happy and it reduced my rear end temps by about 25 degrees.

-RJ

BREK
07-26-2005, 09:00 AM
I've had nothing but bad experiences whit amsoil products. I tried the synthetic 2 stroke in my dirt bike and it did nothing but foul spark plugs :-| switched to belray synthetic and it worked great I also ran ams in my daily driver it leaked and burnt,put standard castrol 10w30 in and it still burnt a little but did not leak

Lifted79CJ7
07-26-2005, 10:38 AM
My thought is that anything that is supposed to last thang long in an engine shouldn't go in mine. I just know enough from my mechanical engineering days to say that I would be super skeptical. I'll believe it when I see it I guess. Anywho, MC, I thought you would love to chime in here! 8)

Soylent_Green
07-27-2005, 06:45 PM
I make it a point to ignore all manufacturers claims on the longevity of oil and/or filters. Every motor uses it's fluids differently, so it just comes down to good maintanence and common sense.

FrankNB
07-28-2005, 06:11 AM
Syntetics don't degrade as fast and do a better job than dyno oils at lubricating. This is fact. I was talking with a guy, they have a stock car, by changing to synth gear oil, the rearend temperature was substantially cooler. He told me how much at the time, but I forgot. It was almost 50% cooler than with conventional gear oil.

Now, in an engine, results varies because engines vary. And, sometimes there are reasons not to use it, some will say about lifters requiring friction, the synthetics lubricate too good in some cases.

What is more important than oil is filtration. A good air cleaner and oil cleaner. Especially for guys like me who wheel in the mud and dust. I use a secondary oil filter combined with Esso full synthetic 0w40. If you are using Fram products, you have a problem, Wix is one of the best when it comes to full flow filters, and they make filters for Napa and Carquest.

Another reason for synthetics and long drain intervals is environmental issues. That's alot of oil being wasted when people change at 5000 when you could easily run your oil to 10000-15000. They only people benefiting from this is oil companies and your friendly quicklube spot. An oil analysis will tell you how your engine and oil are doing and give you an idea how you should be dealing with oil types and change interval, given you have the proper filtration system.

Here's the site to learn all about oil and filtration.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

jeepsr4ever
07-28-2005, 02:48 PM
Synthetics are wonderfull and many are on the same level* A synthetic usually has a high base number...this is where you will get your longevity...AMC-HD is like a synthetic and it could be safely changed every 7000miles however with conditions we suggest 5000 MAX and 5000 for any oil reguardless of base number. Some oils like AMC-HD are well refined mineral oils that are close to a synthetic level. Most synthetics almost all actually these days have a high esther level for keeping the seals in tolerance. If your changing your oil past 5000miles on any engine your really asking for a breakdown. Not only base numbers but their are many many many different elements and factors in the oil that must be maintained for it to lubricate well. Companies will try to re-package oils made by the big 3 and some like Ams-oil (which is based here in MN) have found their niche using the average person to re-sell their product. Every engine lubricates slightly differently like soylent green said and Frank is right as well...their are literally tons of discussion this could spur and tons of facts.....hmmm I wonder if we are due to print out a lube article :-|

Goose
07-29-2005, 07:51 AM
Well I can add some real world observations here.. I run 140,000 miles per year on average in a class 8 tractor trailer .. I switched to synthetics in the differentials and main transmission the temps (and there and gauges on the dash for each unit) the temps went from 200 to 210 degrees at 75 mph on a 90 degree day at 80,000 punds.. to 170 degrees under same loads on the same roads. the main advantage (in a sealed system with no combustion contaminants) is 300,000 miles.

The synthetics they offer in the engines is of negligable value.. for this reason.. as the oil thins/breaks down it leaks or is burned.. and at 20 bucks a gallon it uses a gallon a week (3500 miles) with an 11 gallon capacitiy a conventional oil change is 150 bucks every three weeks. and a synthetic oil change is 350 bucks every 4 months with a filter change every month.. the point of all this drivel is: if you run any oil long term it is gonna break down or get contaminated and if you add to maintain a level the expense will offset any savings you might see from extended drain intervals. plus you will be leaving acids and other contaminants in the engine longer.

FrankNB
07-29-2005, 08:14 AM
Forgot to mention, a bypass filtration system consisting of cellulose fiber (ex: toilet paper) will filter some water out of the oil, hence reducing acidity.

A synthetic or premium non-synthetic like MCs oil are supposed to withstand the stress of a combustion engine longer than conventional oils. When having the ultimate filtration system and changing those filters/adding new quarts replenish the additive package. I'm no guru, just stuff I read in books and forums.. I've read about US military and city bus fleets switching to synthetics after doing their economic homework, especially citing the advantages of longer drain intervals.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=000336

Goose
07-30-2005, 12:00 AM
Yeah I hear what you are saying and I read some of the samethings.. unfortunately for me I could only see the benefit in the gearboxes and diffs.. now in the wintertime up north in your neck of the woods, Some of the Guys are telling me they switch to the synthetics in the winter for the easier startup.. (I am guessing oil is pretty much a solid at 45 below)

And there is a company called Gulf coast that makes a superduper bypass system.. just too spendy for me..

Bulltear Ad