PDA

View Full Version : Tips and Tricks

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

pyagid
07-27-2005, 10:49 AM
This is coming from

Oh no a paint and body section..Man blowing up engines is fun but spraying hundred dollar bills out of a paintgun.. thats sadism at its finest.

Do we have any sharp body/paint folks here??

My body work tools usually consist of a 5lb sledge, flat stock, sometimes a winch, and trees or rocks.

So i Figured i would make a post finding out peoples tips and trick to Dent removal, Rust repair, Paint prep.

For my 4runner I just purchased to new fenders, they come in black primer, what would the best way to prep these be before I put them on my vehicle? What will keep them from rusting out, some people of suggested undercoating the back side, but i have also heard that if done in a humid climate, undercoating could trap moisture and just make everything worse

So lets here what people have to offer in this section

-Paul

FSJer
07-28-2005, 12:14 AM
I think that black primer is actually etch primer , as primer is like a sponge and absorbs moisture, etch primer normally has an incredible bond to steel and won't absorb water .

I think preparation of your fenders all depends on what paint system you choose ( Urethane ,enamel . acrylic, etc ) , as they are different.

Goose
07-28-2005, 08:58 AM
I have been thinking about the rhino lining for undercoating..??

Also the por 15 stuff seems to be geared stricly towards the rust removal/prevention side of things..www.por15.com

Mudrat
07-31-2005, 07:04 PM
The black coating on OMIX ADA parts doesn't last all that long - maybe 2 years. What my local body shops guys do is scrub the crap out of it with somekind of soap, rinse, dry, rinse while scrubbing, dry, phosphate prep, rinse, and then prime, base coat, top coat (or 2) then clear coat. On the inside of my panels on the CJ, I brushed out what rust I could and then soaked the carp outta them with PR-15 phosphate (Metal Ready), rinsed twice - dried then used the rust inhibitor primer before the POR-15 top coat.
If you use the POR-15 not all of it is UV stable :shock: That was the warning on the can I used to paint my axles :smile:

For the under-body, I kinda cheated - after finishing all the rebuild/replace, I sand blasted, did the Metal Ready treatment and then sprayed on the rust inhibitor primer :t:

http://members.cox.net/mudrat/85-CJ/Primered_rebuilt_floor.JPG

The I did the undercoat before it went to the paint shop :?

Bulltear Ad