PDA

View Full Version : Any bought/used the new Milemarker winches ?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

FSJer
07-29-2005, 01:52 AM
Thinking about designing/incorporating a 10,500-12,00lb Milemarker Hydraulic winch into my FSJ project. If the army use them , they must be half decent.I hear you can run these off your power steering pump (won't need all those batterys & alternators)

I was wondering if anyone has seen these, used these, know of anyone who has one and feedback about them ??????

www.4wheelparts.com/4wp/products/productline.asp?cat=WIN&prodline=1117&catName=Winches&man=MILE&expand=sub2#

Goose
07-29-2005, 06:46 AM
Well I guess you still have to answer the age old question. electric or PTO (hydraulic in this case) I have had both, and while the PTO version is more powerful you must be able to run the engine to use them. I guess if you are mostly stuck in the mud thats ok.. But most of my experiences are mountains/climbing-crawling trails. and in those instances many times if the Jeep wont get through it on its own power its too steep or some other wierd attitude that the engine wont run (no oil at the pickup tube flooding etc)..Or on one memorable occaison stuck in the middle of a "shallow creek" 1 degree above freezing water and the the engine under water an noone else around..

FSJer
07-31-2005, 07:02 AM
don't alot of electric winches fail when submerged under water ? i was thinking the equation about bieing in a creek or something and came to the conclusion , what if you carry a little generator type thing with you that can also be set up to to pump hydraulic fluid . I've had a PTO ( 20,000pounder in a personal carrier ) before , it was good , but like the sound of a hydraulic as you can run it off your power steering pump , less wires , less hassle figuring how to run a drive shaft & getting a tansfer case that has a pto.

Bulltear Ad