PDA

View Full Version : What is the ideal oil pressure for a AMC 360?

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

yumyum1667
08-02-2005, 07:41 PM
Anyone have an opinion on what is ideal?

jeepsr4ever
08-03-2005, 06:22 AM
Yes!

Their are a few factors working against the strong oil pressure in a AMC V8

1. oil filter bypass
2. thermal expansion of the oil pump cavity
3. poor choice of oil filters
4. the bad priority for the oil to get to the camshaft and top end before the crankshaft

What was it exactly you were having a hard time with

yumyum1667
08-03-2005, 06:34 PM
Well I took your advice and tried a Wix filter. My oil pressure is a little better. At highway speeds it stays between 40-50psi.

At hot idle though it stays around 10-13psi. My TSM says this is normal but we all know the AMC 360's do not have the longest life stock.

What should be my next step?

jeepsr4ever
08-03-2005, 08:57 PM
I would look to a oil pump kit (gears spring plunger gasket) and a uppgraded oil filter adaptor. This will ensure that you arent bypassing your filter and your pump is optimum for its age and wear.

Drew
10-11-2005, 09:12 PM
I would look to a oil pump kit (gears spring plunger gasket) and a uppgraded oil filter adaptor. This will ensure that you arent bypassing your filter and your pump is optimum for its age and wear.

I'm reading and following this info with interest in the same dilema, what oil pump kit are you suggesting ? Would the Oil Filter bypass kit from Bulltear accomplish the same thing ?
Thanks,
Drew

jeepsr4ever
10-11-2005, 09:23 PM
Drew

Depending on your age and mileage the motor should be between 40-60 cold and 20-40 at idle warm....not hot (overheated). When your engine has gotten warm a number of times the spring in the oil filter bypass gets fatigued and the pressure bypass spring as well that starts the ball rolling on bearing damage. The system works against itself with the oil and foreign particulate getting to the pump before it gets to the filter. The pumps in stock form are very weak and can be scored very easily so we have developed a performance coating for the pump cavity (nickel plating) which is many times harder than the cast aluminum. The coating is soo hard that when you install new gears and turn them dry you will have harmonics that sound very tinny. The oil filter adaptor upgrade is the updated filter adaptor that doesnt have the oil filter bypass. The oil filter bypass was cast in by Chrysler after it bought out AMC. The upgraded oil filer adaptors were first believed to be a Chrysler decision however recent talks with engineers from Renault say that AMC had planned on discontinuing the oil filter bypass by 1984 but didnt implement the tooling change before AMC had money crunches (thanks to Renault) and were bought out by Chrysler.

Gears get destroyed as they are simply a pressure cast soft metal. The pump cavity and the top of the oil filter adaptor get scored easily as well so anything you can do to help solve these issues (like performance coatings) will help you maintain proper pressure and volume of oil to areas like bearings where they are needed most.

Drew
10-11-2005, 09:40 PM
So to be sure I'm protecting my stock 360 w/88,000 on speedo I should upgrade to the oil filter upgrade kit which would include new pump ( gears, stronger spring, etc.) and to make it easier to change filters as often as I like to I could get the oil filter relo kit ? I had understood that your oil filter relo kit included an upgraded pump, I guess I misunderstood that.
This engine runs great and I want to continue that. My Oil is running about 40-60 at highway speeds and higher RPM's and 8-12 at idle, it's a mechanical gauge so I trust it more than the stock electric. I'd just like to have a little more assurance I'm not bypassing the filter and getting all the psi I should.
Thanks,

Blown7
10-13-2005, 04:17 AM
Drew

Depending on your age and mileage the motor should be between 40-60 cold and 20-40 at idle warm....not hot (overheated). When your engine has gotten warm a number of times the spring in the oil filter bypass gets fatigued and the pressure bypass spring as well that starts the ball rolling on bearing damage. The system works against itself with the oil and foreign particulate getting to the pump before it gets to the filter. The pumps in stock form are very weak and can be scored very easily so we have developed a performance coating for the pump cavity (nickel plating) which is many times harder than the cast aluminum. The coating is soo hard that when you install new gears and turn them dry you will have harmonics that sound very tinny. The oil filter adaptor upgrade is the updated filter adaptor that doesnt have the oil filter bypass. The oil filter bypass was cast in by Chrysler after it bought out AMC. The upgraded oil filer adaptors were first believed to be a Chrysler decision however recent talks with engineers from Renault say that AMC had planned on discontinuing the oil filter bypass by 1984 but didnt implement the tooling change before AMC had money crunches (thanks to Renault) and were bought out by Chrysler.

Gears get destroyed as they are simply a pressure cast soft metal. The pump cavity and the top of the oil filter adaptor get scored easily as well so anything you can do to help solve these issues (like performance coatings) will help you maintain proper pressure and volume of oil to areas like bearings where they are needed most.

So M.C. Continental aircraft engines have the same style pump but with hardened gears, they work fine for years even if the housing gets scoured. Time maybe for you to make some. I'll buy a set if you make em and be a Guinea Pig. Jeff

jeepsr4ever
10-13-2005, 07:32 AM
True Jeff they use nickel as well... Hardened gears...hmmm. We are in the process of making .003-.005 oversize gears :idea:

Mudrat
10-13-2005, 07:25 PM
Hell, I and I just bought the cover and pump 'cause it was shiney :shock:

Not really - had this discussion with MC a few months ago and stuck one on my rebuilt 360 - now I just gotta get it in the CJ to see if it works :wink:
Pat

Drew
10-13-2005, 10:00 PM
How much of a job is replacing the oil pump housing and gears in an installed AMC 360V8 ? Can it be done by just removing the oil pan on the engine and working it from below ? I've had to remove the screen on the oil pickup to clean it before on a 304 but don't remember how it was bolted on above, I guess that is where the oil pump would be.
What about the oil filter upgrade and a relocation kit ? Beginning to sound like a job for little elves with little wrenches rather than a 275lb. fat man unless I want to jerk the engine. There's hardly enough room to access the oil filter down there much less work on the oil filter mounting.
And to think all I wanted in the beginning was to relocate my oil filter and get better oil pressure. "For every action there's an equal........" :forcefeed:
And where would I get this new nickle coated oil pump ? How about an oil filter relo kit ? From this site ?
LMK,
Thanks,
Drew

fuzz401
10-14-2005, 05:39 AM
what ever you do do not put the high pressure spring in the bypass

Drew
10-14-2005, 07:08 AM
what ever you do do not put the high pressure spring in the bypass

Why not ?

tufcj
10-14-2005, 07:20 AM
Actually, the only thing in the pan is the oil pickup tube. The pump itself is part of the timing cover. Changing it out is no more difficult than doing a timing chain. Drain antifreeze, remove hoses, fan, waterpump, and some of the accessory brackets, remove timing cover.

If you're just replacing the pump gears, and not the housing, all you need to do is remove the housing that the oil filter screws onto (about 7 1/4x20 bolts). The gears will just drop out. The remote filter adapter replaces this housing. Just remember to lube the new gears well so they create enough suction to prime.

Bob
tufcj

Mudrat
10-14-2005, 09:06 PM
And where would I get this new nickle coated oil pump ? How about an oil filter relo kit ? From this site ?
LMK,
Thanks,
Drew
Drew, check out the Bulltear Pro-Parts (http://www.bulltear.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3756&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=) thread for the cover, pump gears and more.

Pat
If it were easy, ANYBODY could do it :wink:

Drew
10-15-2005, 08:59 AM
Thanks Pat.

Bulltear Ad