PDA

View Full Version : Trigger Wheel

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

JeepGuy24
08-04-2005, 11:16 AM
I'm looking to have a 36-1 trigger wheel made that will fit in between the crank pulley and the balancer on an AMC 360 (88 SJ). Then I need to find a way to get a VR sensor to 1 mm distance from the teeth. I can get a diagram to you for the basic dimensions of the wheel. It needs to be steel (magnetic propperties0 and need to think about mounting possibilities for the VR sensor. The other concern is not displacing the crank pulley too far from the balancer and creating an angle in the pulley belts.

This would be for retrofitting EDIS, which could be very nice (programable wasted spark :lo1l:

-Nick

JeepGuy24
08-05-2005, 11:30 AM
http://home.earthlink.net/~beanbooger/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/36-1ring.jpg

This is a diagram of the stock trigger wheel for Fords. The width of the teeth needs to remain the same. The inner diametter needs to be smaller so that four mounting holes can be drilled that use the bolts that attach the crank pulley to the engine. The outer diameter needs to be large enough to stick out further than the base of the crank pulley.

JeepGuy24
08-05-2005, 11:49 AM
http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=showPhoto&albumID=414123288&photoID=414137314&security=EGkXJk

a thousand words

JeepGuy24
08-05-2005, 11:57 AM
http://image53.webshots.com/53/3/73/14/414137314EGkXJk_ph.jpg

oops

JeepGuy24
08-17-2005, 01:39 PM
I'm only getting the image to work if i rightclick on it. So does this seem like a feasible request? I don't trust myself to make anything that spins at 4k rpm. Let me know if there are any additional numbers I can provide for you.

Mudrat
08-17-2005, 08:00 PM
I'm only getting the image to work if i rightclick on it. So does this seem like a feasible request? I don't trust myself to make anything that spins at 4k rpm. Let me know if there are any additional numbers I can provide for you.
Jeep Guy - your coding for the board is correct, but Webshots encodes the pics when you upload them. Using the url in the address block when the OWNER views them doesn't work to link to.
I have a Webshots account, and I can't see your pics unless you 'invite me' to.
With webshots you need to invite others to view and post THAT link. I normally invite myself (to my personal e-mail addy) then use that link to post on a BBS. Yeah it's cumbersom and Photobucket (www.photobucket.com) gives you a url under each pic if you want to link to individual pics directly (not an album like Webshots does).
Also I just tried to access my account and the server is down ??
Last Tellico trip (http://community.webshots.com/album/203356745tDDbpb)

Hope this helps

Pat

JeepGuy24
08-18-2005, 10:19 AM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b110/JeepGuy24/trigger.jpg

Mudrat
08-18-2005, 04:13 PM
Jeep Guy- - we got it the first time!! Just Kidding :?

When you look at your post and you see "edit" in the upper right hand frame -YOU can edit what you wrote. :wink:

In this case I finished your [/i tag to read [/img] and got the same post.

You can also use the "Preview" button next to the 'Submit" to see if what you wrote is really what you wanted to say. :t:

Just something for your information :lo1l: I don't mind fixing what you post, but you can make my job easier =D>

Pat

JeepGuy24
08-25-2005, 01:39 PM
Thanks for helping me out. I don't see an "edit" on the upper right corner of mine. Oh well, do you think any more pictures would be useful to get an idea of what I'm looking for? thanks again for your help.
-Nick

Mudrat
08-25-2005, 03:01 PM
Thanks for helping me out. I don't see an "edit" on the upper right corner of mine. Oh well, do you think any more pictures would be useful to get an idea of what I'm looking for? thanks again for your help.
-Nick

:-| Odd ... you should have both an 'edit' button and an 'x' button inside your post to delete your own post???

Oh well, chalk it up to 'those damned computers' :lo1l: :t:

I deleted the dupe for ya.

But the real question is, have you gotten your trigger wheel yet? How's the build going? Curious because I'm building an 88 SJ with a built 360 and may look at doing this after I get tired of the naturally aspirated set up ;-)

Pat

JeepGuy24
08-29-2005, 09:09 AM
I was hoping for MC's help on the wheel. I could go to a machine shop and have one made and pressed onto my current crank pulley, or mount it behind the pulley. But I was hoping he might have a better suggestion for an all in one piece, or maybe a way to make it easily adjustable.

It would be very helpful to have controlled fuel and spark on a forced induction engine. Just think of the tuning possibilities. That thing could turn into a real monster :angry5: heehee

The ignition system is the one used in Ford V8s, so parts are easy to come by. It also has a stand-alone module that can in limp-home mode if the main CPU has problems. Nice fall back feature. The main thing I want is controllability to optimize efficiency. But that should hopefully mean a slight increase in power.

Mudrat
08-29-2005, 05:33 PM
I was hoping for MC's help on the wheel.
Did you PM him??? Let me see if he's in the back 40 :wink:

HEY MC!! You out there???
Hehehehe - He'll probably muzzle me for yellen like that :shock: :?

Pat

rollen dean montoya
08-29-2005, 06:50 PM
here MC MC MC.

jeepsr4ever
08-29-2005, 07:04 PM
YO!!

Ok so do you want to mount this behind the pulley or on a pulley? Keep in mind that the pully is that size for a reason and will hit the timing cover marks if you have a gear on it. Take a look at your motor and you will see what I mean

p.s. I have been following up on reading just not reply's :sa:

Lifted79CJ7
08-29-2005, 07:29 PM
YO!!

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000C23DY.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Where's Ed Lover?

JeepGuy24
09-02-2005, 10:47 AM
Well, I see what you mean. I'm open to any suggestions you have. I just need to get a 36-1 wheel on there and then get a VR (variable reluctance?) sensor within 1 mm of it. I'm a weekend mechanic at most and have only fabricated some mounting plates and such, so you know much more about what would work. All that said, the wheel could be mounted to the front of the pulley (don't exactly know how) a mount for the sensor would have to be made that could clear all the belts and get that far (distal) away from the engine, it wouldn't disrupt the angle of the belts or have clearance issues with the timing cover. Just have to make sure the fan blade doesn't whack it. heehee

Anways...any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks

John_TTD
12-01-2006, 04:34 PM
I'm working on/need this as well, we are using megasquirt on an amc, this allows us to fuel inject my 360 and go distributorless. I'm doing my twin turbo 4.3 right now but that's a snap because the 350 oil pump drive and trigger wheels are readily available.

If someone makes something decent I want one, if nobody does by the time the 4.3 is done I'll be making some and have them available.

My buddy wrote the coil pack driver code for the M/S system and we use them on just about everything we inject now.

~John

Bulltear Ad