PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Insanity

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

GetrDone
08-04-2005, 10:13 PM
First off, I know I'm posting a question about a jeep in the hot rod section. But wait till ya hear what I have under the hood before burnin me. I just finished a frame off resto on a 74 CJ5. I dropped in a fresh 5.9 w/ edelbrock performer heads, cam & lifters, intake, carb, and free flowing exhaust. I have a 4" lift with 33X12.5 A/T's. My rear end has 4.10 gears w/ posi.

What's Great:
My power to weight ratio, traction, and torque are unreal. I can easily pop the front wheels in low 2 wheel. From 0-60 I blew the doors off my buddy's 02 GT.

What Sucks:
I have a stock Warner T15 3 speed, and at 65 mph I'm at 3800 rpm. My rear end is not the cause of my high rpm, it's the gearing in my transmission.

My Goal:
Ideally, I want to rebuild my T15 with different gears that'll drop my RPM at highway speeds, and still have low enough gears to go off roading. But I'm not sure if I can find different gears that will fit a T15. I'm willing to do a tranny swap, but I don't want to replace my Dana 20 transfer case or make any substantial mods. What are some of my transmission options to get the best overall street/offroad performance?

Any help would be appreciated.

KEV
08-05-2005, 06:16 AM
All nonoverdrive tranys are 1 to 1 in high gear, with that said look for a overdrive trany but none of them will mate to your 20 without an adapter. :idea: If you want to stay with a strong nonoverdrive trans you will need to change your rearend gearing to 3.54 or 3.73. Then go with a T-18 they come with 4.10 or 6.34 to 1 first gear but first gear is unsyncroed. The T-19 would be good too, it has a 5.11 to 1 first and it is syncroed. I think your T-15 has a 3 to 1 first gear.

jeepsr4ever
08-05-2005, 06:34 AM
moved to general tech

Bulltear Ad