PDA

View Full Version : Need re-build advice for an AMC 360 please

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

lamar
08-06-2005, 06:42 AM
Dear group;
I have recently purchased a fairly complete, but disassembled AMC360 motor. I would like to rebuild this particular motor and stab it into my 1990 Jeep YJ as a replacement for old, tired 258 that now resides in there.
I was thinking of a build sheet similiar to this:
Edelbrock heads
Stamped steel roller rockers
Hardened pushrods
Edelbrock Performer manifold
Edelbrock Offroad Carburetor 600CFM
260 or 270 dur. camshaft
Stock or slightly higher compression pistons
Hedman or Edelbrock headers
New timing chain
New oil pump
New distributor unit (old dizzy is missing)
New Centerforce II clutch package
Is this a good combo? Is there a better combo for what I am looking for. I like torque and my 258 just can't make the power in heavy mud conditions. Please help, this is the first time I've touched an AMC V-8 in years.
Your friend;
LAMAR

jeepsr4ever
08-06-2005, 07:49 AM
Sounds like a nice combo!

Lifted79CJ7
08-06-2005, 08:01 AM
Man, I haven't had Combo's in years! Those are delicous little snacks!

http://www.taquitos.net/dbimages13/Combos-CCP.jpg

:?

Oh, as for the engine, sounds like a good setup to me!!

lamar
08-06-2005, 09:01 AM
Dear group;
Thanks for the replies guys! I forgot to mention that I am ordering a new NV3550 tranny to hook up to the 360. This is the combo that I was referring to in the original post. Another question. Am I forgetting anything important, or semi-important?
Your friend;
LAMAR

fuzz401
08-06-2005, 11:07 AM
Stamped steel roller rockers
no one realy makes a set for amc but they are close

Hardened pushrods
I would get a set of checking push rods to see how long you need yours to be

Edelbrock Performer manifold or the Edelbrock air gap intake

lamar
08-07-2005, 01:18 AM
Dear fuzz401;
I was looking at the Comp Cams stamped steel rockers. Summit racing is listing them for the 360 AMC under P/N: CCA-1414-16. Is this incorrect? I also like the RPM range of the Performer manifold because I am trying to get more lowend grunt, rather than topend. Would you recommend the Comp Cams steel roller rockers or a set of aluminum roxkers such as thwe Scorpion rockers? Also, does anybody think that the NV3550 tranny might be too small to handle a 360 engine?
Your friend;
LAMAR

fuzz401
08-08-2005, 05:37 AM
I think harland sharp would be your best bet on alum rockers and I think they make a rocker to replac the bridged rocker too

Mudrat
08-08-2005, 05:54 AM
Hi Lamar - welcome to the board :t:
The Harland Sharp rockers are the S-4004 model and you can get them from Summit. To see them click HERE (http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=harlland+sharpe&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&searchinresults=false&N=0&target=egnsearch.asp)

But Fuzz and Jeepsr4ever have brought up you really won't get the benifit from rollers in the lower RPM range. Unless you are going to monster gears to turn 5-6000 engine RPM into usable tire speed, I would (and I did with my 360 build) stick with the stamped 1.6:1 rockers and save some money.

Tenga un gran d??a :t:
Mudrat

lamar
08-08-2005, 11:09 AM
Dear mudrat;
Thanks for the welcome! If I can get away with stamped rockers I will go that route, but I think that Edelbrock is recommending the roller rockers for their heads. Is this correct or are they just trying to some steel roller rockers?
Your friend;
LAMAR

Mudrat
08-08-2005, 12:02 PM
I missed the line where you said you had the Edlebrok heads - sorry. I'm not sure on the requirement for them. Jeepsr4ever, Fuzz, Dusty, AMX or someone who has dealt with them will need to answer that for you. Sorry.

Pat

lamar
08-08-2005, 12:15 PM
Dear mudrat and everybody else:
OK, here is another situation that I am faced with. The gasoline in Bolivia is low octane and I am thinking of trying to achieve a 9.1 CR. Is this too high, or would low octane pump gas work with this CR? Thoughts or opinions anybody?
Your friend;
LAMAR

Dusty
08-08-2005, 03:04 PM
you are fine, 9.5:1 on pump gas is no problem

Bulltear Ad