PDA

View Full Version : 69 disc brake upgrade / conversion question.

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

fasterdaddyfaster
08-11-2005, 10:16 AM
69 disc brake upgrade question.

I wish to upgrade the disc brake set-up that is on my 69 SC/Rambler. A few years back I pulled the set-up from a donor car. And now looking at my car there is one piece that I did not take from the donor car and I am hoping to confirm here that my existing 69 piece will work with the newer stuff.

The piece in question (I don’t know what its called) is bolted to the backside of the steering knuckle by two bolts diagonally and goes to the outer tie rod end.

At the time I probably thought that that piece should probably stay original.

Is that the case? Will that piece still bolt correctly to the back side of the new stuff?

Thanks, Norm.

tufcj
08-11-2005, 10:39 AM
I will work. My 69 AMX is running 71-74 Discs. We only changed the parts from the spindle out. The rest is original 69.

Bob
tufcj

fasterdaddyfaster
08-11-2005, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, that’s a relief as the donor car is long gone and now that brings me to my next issue.

I DO NOT RECALL WHAT THE DONOR CAR WAS!

And I need this information to order new parts!

I now have rusted rotor hubs and calipers that I want to use as cores however at the auto parts store I do not know what to ask for. I do remember making sure that the donor car was a six cylinder, but the year I do not remember and I don’t recall the model. The calipers are Bendix which don’t mount via standard caliper pins, they mount with a spring clip and slider thing and screw.

I was planning on picking a year/model like 1980 six cylinder Spirit and see what the counter guy comes back with and if it doesn’t match just try another year/model until he/she gets tired of me and then go to another parts store and try a different combo.

Could somebody maybe help me narrow down the possibilities? I understand some were Kelsey Hayes and some were Bendix and mine are Bendix. What might be good year/model combo that will likely match the Bendix setup that I have.

Thanks Again, Norm.

tufcj
08-11-2005, 01:31 PM
I think most models were Kelsey-Hayes until 74. After that all models were Bendix, and I think all were interchangable. There were some differences in the caliper mounts and disc diameters over the years, depending on if it was a small or mid-size model. I think you'd be OK if you pick a year between 75 and 80.

Bob
tufcj

Bulltear Ad