PDA

View Full Version : Engine Conversion...360 into CJ

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Shaymer
08-20-2005, 07:34 PM
Our friends over at CTJeep.org sent me over here. I've got an 80' CJ7 with a manual 4spd. I want to put a 360 out of an 85' Grand Wagoneer in the CJ. Problem is, the 360 was connected to an auto tranny and I want to stick with a manual transmission.

I've been told it should bolt right in with some engine mount fabrication.
But is this possible, and if so, what do I need to do to make it fit?

Thanks,
Shaymer
via CTJeep

pyagid
08-20-2005, 09:10 PM
welcome to bulltear.

I pm'ed you on CTjeep with the answers to your questions

but here is my response there

if it is a 6 basically what needs to be done is the frame stands for the motor will need to be redrilled inorder to match the block side mounts. I pulled my motor out of an 88 and thats all i did into my 85 CJ. For some reason certain year waggy motors have different motor mounts and dont fit into a CJ properly. They stick off the block to far and i dont remember exactly what years they were. To get around this http://www.mountainoffroad.com/more.htm makes a really nice set of motor mounts. Those are what we ended up using in my Fathers CJ with a 304

You will need a Flywheel for a 360 to run a manual transmission. AMC v8s are externally balanced and need the proper harmonice balancer, and proper flywheel.

The Fuel feed line is on the passenger side frame rail in a CJ, the AMC v8 mechanical pump is on the driverside, you could either run a rubber line around the front of the frame to the pump ( i did this) run a new fuel line up the driverside frame rail, or put in an electric fuel pump.

you will need to by-pass the computer completely and if you search around you should be able to find information on a "nutter bypass" basically you run the wires direct from the ignition module to the distributor, If you cant find the info on the internet about this, I have my wiring harness I could draw up a diagram from for you. OR you could go with a DUI style distributor, which is really nice, only 1 hot wire going to it and you are all set.

You could use either Headers, or stock manifolds for stock manifolds the driverside one needs to be the center output rather than the rear output manifold otherwise you will have clearance issues with the firewall

With this swap you will be able to eliminate 90% of the wires in the engine bay, and remove the computer from behind the glovebox.

If you decide to build this motor www.bulltear.com has alot of great information The biggest issue with AMC V8 motors is oiling problems. It is easy to take care of and if you keep the motor in good shape it is a GREAT motor.

It is really a fairly easy swap. What tranny do you currently have in the jeep? My CJ i had the t-5 and I blew that up shortly after installing teh v8 it just had to much power for the weak t-5 tranny. (pulling wheelies in the cj also didnt help)

Like is said PM or call if you have anymore questions

-Paul

Shaymer
08-21-2005, 06:31 AM
Paul, I got the PM. Thanks a million. I think I"m going to start the process sometime soon.

Shaymer

Bulltear Ad