PDA

View Full Version : 14" air filter on the 304 w/ a MC carb

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

rustyrevver
08-23-2005, 09:55 AM
does anyone know what 14" air filters fit well with a motorcraft carb on the 304? i bought an eldelbrock chrome assembly with the dropped base but it won't clear the carb - so i grabbed a package of those cheapie plastic spacers and they don't fit over my throttle linkage. if anyone can post what they are using, that'd be great. really want to yank out that stock box. thanks for the help!

JeepsAndGuns
08-23-2005, 05:23 PM
I would look for one with a non droped base. I have one with a non droped base on my cherokee's 360 with a holley intake and edlebrock carb. The air filter is about 2in tall and I dont have any clearance issues with the hood. If you want I can snap a pic so you can see how it looks.

rustyrevver
08-24-2005, 09:14 AM
thanks for the info...i think i wasn't clear though...the problem isn't with hood clearance (the CJ hood is huge and rounded!) the problem is with the base of the filter assembly not fitting over the carb...i've tried both raised and non-rasied, either way, i need one of the plastic spacers to bring it up high enough to clear the carb and the lines, and the spacers won't fit around my throttle linkage. i was hoping someone with the motorcraft carb might be able to advise? do i need to drop all the lines down away from the carb to fit the new filter? seems like there should be a better way. thanks for helping though JeepAndGuns!

JeepsAndGuns
08-24-2005, 06:19 PM
Oops, I said hood but I ment carb. The base of the filter is at the same level as the filter base on the carb. I would think it would work and clear as long as the hole is the same size. This is the cheap advance auto filter. I think I paied like $15 for the thing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/JeepsAndGuns/carb001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/JeepsAndGuns/carb002.jpg

rustyrevver
08-25-2005, 09:05 AM
cool - maybe i'll try one of those vs the eldelbrock. thanks for the pics!

Bulltear Ad