PDA

View Full Version : Dual Alt install with Mc's bracket

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

78304CJ-7
08-23-2005, 04:00 PM
So I got around today to installing the my dual alternator setup. Couple issues with the brackets. The stud that holds the bolt to the alternator from the manifold really needs to have more thread on it, in both directions. Any alternator with more then a 1/2" thick foot will find that you only have about 3 threads sticking out for the last nut. Also with the lock nut my alternator, and it looks like the stock 10si would have this problem as the foot is the same size will cause the alternator stick out about 1/8" too far towards the front of the engine. Nothing you wouldn't notice unless looking for it and how the belts ride on the pullies. I tried turning the stud farther into the manifold bracket , but there just wasn't enough threads left I tried to locate a jam nut to use in stead of the backing nut but my local hardware store didn't have one that size.

Anyway, this is a 24volt motorola 45 amp alternator I used two 49.5" belts, originally I trids the AMC V8 belts (50.5") used with for the AC setup, however I needed to have both tention adjusters all the way out to get it tight enough, I went back got two that where 1" shorter. So far it works great. I still have to hook the alternator up to my battery but that should be easy :lo1l:

All in all the quality machine work looked supurb :t:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/rjorgens/Dual%20Alt/Alt_001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/rjorgens/Dual%20Alt/Alt2_001.jpg

Thanks MC.

-RJ

JeepsAndGuns
08-23-2005, 05:20 PM
So whats the 2nd alt for? To power a on board welder?

pyagid
08-23-2005, 09:31 PM
Looks like the set up will work well......IIRC you are some what local to me, will i get to see it at the Jeep Rally in Somers, CT?

-Paul

78304CJ-7
08-24-2005, 03:56 PM
So whats the 2nd alt for? To power a on board welder?

The 2nd alt will be 3 fold, OBW, pwoer the winch, and my portable 7CFM air compressor that I built. I wanted a completly second electrical system for these and 24 volt is much more efficient for the most part.

-RJ

78304CJ-7
08-24-2005, 03:58 PM
Looks like the set up will work well......IIRC you are some what local to me, will i get to see it at the Jeep Rally in Somers, CT?

-Paul

I am just north of you, well by about 4 hours in Vermont. Won't be headed down for the Jeep rally as I have other obligations. Tour De Rock 2005 should be a great event this fall if you are going to be in NH for it?

-RJ

Mudrat
08-24-2005, 04:39 PM
Anyway, this is a 24volt motorola 45 amp alternator I used two 49.5" belts, originally I tried the AMC V8 belts (50.5") used with for the AC setup, however I needed to have both tention adjusters all the way out to get it tight enough, I went back got two that where 1" shorter. So far it works great. I still have to hook the alternator up to my battery but that should be easy.

Thanks MC.

-RJ
Man that looks SWEET! Let us know how it works, and make sure you do a complete write up (how to do, what to and what NOT to do, sorta thing) for the rest of us couch potatoes :idea:

Pat

jeepsr4ever
08-24-2005, 07:32 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA

Shoot thats not how we intended the bracket to be used but it sure does look good that way............ :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

FYI the swing arm attaches to the dogleg bracket and the other side of the alternator bolts to the head with the spacer i still have sitting here for you

pyagid
08-24-2005, 08:47 PM
Tour De Rock 2005 should be a great event this fall if you are going to be in NH for it?

-RJ

I am going to make the attempt to be there, I already have ALOT of other obligations in October so we will see

-paul

tarior
08-25-2005, 03:33 AM
How cool is that!? I think I need an OBW, and air compressor, and refrigerator and toaster. :mrgreen: I should send a picture of my FSJ, you'll all laugh :?:

Mudrat
08-25-2005, 04:35 AM
How cool is that!? I think I need an OBW, and air compressor, and refrigerator and toaster. :mrgreen: I should send a picture of my FSJ, you'll all laugh :?:

Yes you should
http://www.floridajeepers.net/images/smiles/worthless.gif

:lo1l: :lo1l: :lo1l: :lo1l: :idea:

78304CJ-7
08-25-2005, 12:29 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA

Shoot thats not how we intended the bracket to be used but it sure does look good that way............ :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

FYI the swing arm attaches to the dogleg bracket and the other side of the alternator bolts to the head with the spacer i still have sitting here for you

Well call me 111!!! I guess I have it all upside down then 8) I asked for pics of the instll with your setup and never got any posts. :roll: Oh well, I guess there would be no issues then with the way you say it should be set up. :mrgreen: I think I am going to grind that backing nut in half then back the stud out some so that should give me enough thread engagement for the locking nut that you provide. Anyway MC. It works like a champ so far :t:

I was thinking I was missing a spacer when I got the kit, I could of sworn I remembered somewhere that I saw one. Care to send it along? I am sure I can use it for somthing :razz:

-RJ

tarior
08-25-2005, 12:32 PM
Point taken, Mudrat! :oops:
I'll go into town today and get some batteries for my digible camera

jeepsr4ever
01-15-2006, 02:41 PM
Thats looks great!!

Bulltear Ad