PDA

View Full Version : I'm screwed

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Mudrat
08-27-2005, 12:56 PM
Well, got a lot deeper into this POS M20 axle. Trying to sort out axle shaft lengths to get replacements, I popped the cover back off to pull the pig and check the splines inside on the long side that spun.
http://members.cox.net/mudrat/HD-AMC_20/spun-spline-1.JPG

Wanted to check wear pattern before I pulled it out to see if It needed to be reset when I put it back in ... But I found a WHOLE lot worse when I got in there other, than a bad wear pattern ...

Not a lot of toe engagement
http://members.cox.net/mudrat/HD-AMC_20/ring_gear.JPG

Which probably caused this ... One side of the pinion crown - -
http://members.cox.net/mudrat/HD-AMC_20/fubar_pinion.JPG

The other side :smile:
http://members.cox.net/mudrat/HD-AMC_20/fubar_pinion-2.JPG

There were no chunks in the oil or stuck to the plug - where'd they go?? :-|

Here's the run down ...
Option 1)
- IF I can find the missing pieces ... by tearing down the Detroit :(:
- new ring and pinion (4.56)
- all new bearings and seals
- 2 new shafts (if I can figure out the real length I need)
- the tubes have been welded and ground in several places
http://members.cox.net/mudrat/HD-AMC_20/Brackets-removed.JPG

Or Option 2)
- not restore the 88 (looking like at least $6 large for that and I can by one cheaper in better shape and build it for that!! :-| )
- pull the axles and use the those
- install the spring over perches (now or later?)
- put the disc brake setup on them
- hopefully NOT have a spun shaft (but at least I know the make and year on this one)
- get the replacement 4.56's to go with the tires
- still need to replace the lockers :smile:
Put the bad axles under the waggie with the old carrier, and
sell the other parts before dumping to a recycle yard
and get some of the $$ back from it

Either way I'm pissed I spent a bunch of $$$ for and on this frigg'n POS already - and it hasn't even left the shop!!! Now what's the best option to get the CJ running?

Pat

Lifted79CJ7
08-28-2005, 06:36 PM
I say go the route of Option 3, which is:

A) Ditch that 20
B) Go to U Wrench It and for $100 grab a rear dana 60 or 14 bolt out of something. Don't grab the brake stuff - they chrage you for the drums.
C) Cut it down, regear and disc brake it and slap it in the CJ. Refer to A.
D) Ditch the Waggy - My boss picked up a MINT Waggy with less than 40K miles for $4500 - then he put ~$1500 in it fixing a couple underhood issues. This was having a shop do it, he could have done it for a lot cheaper himself.

Save yourself some money and more headaches and bury that 20 in the back yard. I also know that you may question the lug pattern, but if I am not mistaken (which I might be) there are kits out there to keep the 6 of 5.5....

jeepsr4ever
08-29-2005, 04:55 AM
Jack's right....ditch the 20. Get your money for the detroit and bail on the 20. Sounds like it was a basketcase that someone shortened and made a mess out of before you got it.

Mudrat
08-29-2005, 05:18 AM
I say go the route of Option 3, which is:

A) Ditch that 20
B) Go to U Wrench It and for $100 grab a rear dana 60 or 14 bolt out of something.

Yeah, that's the popular consensus even from the wife (well except replacing the axle with something bigger :oops: )

Jack, OBTW, UWI is now Pick'n Pull - got bought out last week I guess.

Pat

ROBERT11
08-29-2005, 05:11 PM
I know where a Military 14 bolt is sitting if you want it. The only problem is that you will have to regear it( Oh and it will be a chevy 8 bolt pattern so you would have to get new rims).

ROBERT11
08-29-2005, 05:15 PM
Nice paint is that crayola :-|

Mudrat
08-29-2005, 06:40 PM
I know where a Military 14 bolt is sitting if you want it. The only problem is that you will have to regear it( Oh and it will be a chevy 8 bolt pattern so you would have to get new rims).
No new rims!!! Want to keep the same on all 4 :(: But a regear is going to happen no matter what ... #-o

Nice paint is that crayola :-|
Yeah! Got a problem with it 8) ???
Actually it's some of my wifes craft paint :?:

jeepsr4ever
08-29-2005, 07:17 PM
Pat if your running 35" tires dont be afraid of the Ford 9"...at that angle you can run a low pinion with less damage than with smaller than 35" tires. Cheap, plentifull and 5 on 5.5!!,......or thats right your a 6 bolt now arent you?

Mudrat
08-29-2005, 07:40 PM
Pat if your running 35" tires dont be afraid of the Ford 9"...at that angle you can run a low pinion with less damage than with smaller than 35" tires. Cheap, plentifull and 5 on 5.5!!,......or thats right your a 6 bolt now arent you?
Yup - but I tell ya - with the problems I've found in the rear - I don't trust the front until I get into it too. Besides - they're brandy new rims :wink:

Dusty
08-30-2005, 10:30 AM
Ditch the 20 you're screwed. 8) ha ha. :lo1l:

find a waggy, scout or cherokee D44 rear slap it in for $100 and be done

i say scout because you can get a set of shafts with 6 bolt flanges and then slap your M20 brakes onto them IIRC

rollen dean montoya
10-06-2005, 03:33 PM
go with dusty's idea

fuzz401
10-06-2005, 04:35 PM
looks like my axel from the 44
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/fuzz401/102_0278.jpg

go narrow track dime a doz :?

Mudrat
10-06-2005, 08:00 PM
FUZZ!!!! :shock: What a long and twisted shaft you have 8)

I think this is a N/T? Tires don't stick out much past the flairs. I'll have to remeasure the tube. :-|

fuzz401
10-07-2005, 05:25 AM
and if it is I might have a compleat one laying around if not I do have a compleat md 20 housing just wating for your parts :?

Mudrat
10-07-2005, 05:44 AM
and if it is I might have a compleat one laying around if not I do have a compleat md 20 housing just wating for your parts :?
Well my tube is bent, shaft is twisted and pinion FUBAR - do you need a Detroit with an almost unused 4.56 ring on it? (you can see the only wear on it above :smile: :roll: ) I could use some more 1.5 & 1.75 DOM :wink:
OR, how 'bout this - I deliver the waggie to ya and we discuss what you have to trade ? :?

fuzz401
10-07-2005, 05:51 AM
get my housing put that ring and pinion in it get a new set of moser axels and you are ready to go
:?

and here is the best deal come get the housing and it is yours :? :t: :? :mrgreen:

Mudrat
10-07-2005, 06:40 AM
get my housing put that ring and pinion in it get a new set of moser axels and you are ready to go
:?

and here is the best deal come get the housing and it is yours :? :t: :? :mrgreen:
OK, you need a waggie? Wife wants it gone ... check your 'other' e-mail :?

Can't this weekend, got some buds comming back from Iraq and I owe them a good drunk in a Sailor town :razz:
(we all do - they were on the Syrian border in Al Anbar province!)

rollen dean montoya
10-07-2005, 03:28 PM
rat, make sure you show them a real good time, they earned it. they
might have hitched a ride on my c-17. let them know you know one of
the lunatics that builds it.

Mudrat
10-07-2005, 03:45 PM
rat, make sure you show them a real good time, they earned it. they
might have hitched a ride on my c-17. let them know you know one of
the lunatics that builds it.
Will do :lo1l: These guys were mostly in sand buggies, but the dudes I had at the house last weekend on thier way will more than likely HiLow outta one :t:

rollen dean montoya
10-07-2005, 06:31 PM
tell ya what, i'll see if i can scare up a video of the bird and send it to
ya.

Mudrat
10-07-2005, 06:40 PM
tell ya what, i'll see if i can scare up a video of the bird and send it to
ya.
Kewl - landing site has been changed, I can't get there, so it'll be later when I pick'm up. Might have a chance to VOTE before I go :?

rollen dean montoya
10-12-2005, 09:29 PM
got a couple of videos for ya. will send them out shortly :lo1l:

Mudrat
10-13-2005, 09:45 AM
Kewl -
I was drag'n azz on Monday :smile: Drop'n them off at the late hours and then driving an hour home, I was freak'n tired. fortunately they all hooked :lo1l: up and I got to stay on my side of the tunnel Tuesday =D> Most of them left today for "home"

P

Bulltear Ad