PDA

View Full Version : Painting my CJ

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

Shaymer
09-14-2005, 09:52 PM
I've got my front end off my CJ for an engine swap. Thought I might give it a coat of paint.

I could wash it and hit it with 20 cans of spray paint.
I could go to a paint shop and spend $800

Can I get a Wagner Power Painter at Home depot and get car paint from a specialty shop and blast away.

Any hints would be great. I don't need great job. Just something serviceable.

tufcj
09-15-2005, 07:08 AM
You'll need an automotive spray gun. Most auto paint is too thin for something like a wagner to spray evenly. You can get them pretty cheap from places like Harbor Freight.

90% of how a finished paint job looks like is in the prep. You'll want to feather any scratches, prime any areas where sanding takes you to bare metal. Final sanding should be no coarser than 400 grit. Paint will stick fine to existing paint as long as it isn't peeling. You'd be surprised how bad new paint will look if you put it over scratches, dents, or rust.

Buy sone extra paint, and practice and get the feel of the spray gun before trying your fenders.

Bob
tufcj

Shaymer
09-15-2005, 07:25 AM
Thanks

Shaymer

Goose
09-17-2005, 08:57 AM
Let me add a tip Here.. More important than anything else you do is the prep work..(Clean up after sanding) take a tooth brush and get into the body lines where two panels meet.. anyplace dust or crap could hang out.. cause if you dont the paint may look ok but the trapped stuff will have it peeling in a few months..(ask me how I know..) #-o use water,compressed air etc get seriously Anal about it and you will be glad you did.

Bulltear Ad