PDA

View Full Version : AMC in the movies

Bulltear Ad
Bulltear Ad

JeepsAndGuns
10-02-2005, 06:28 PM
I know they guys over at IFSJA all know about every movie that has had a FSJ in it. So I was wondering, are there any movies with AMC's in them. More specificaly javelins. I dont mean ones where you "can just see part of the front fender for a split seconed" ....lol

mrtazwrench
10-03-2005, 11:33 AM
matadors as cop cars in some dukes of hazzard shows.

Hawk401
10-07-2005, 08:58 AM
James Bond-Man with the golden gun has a hornet that does a flip/jump,a flying matador coupe and many matador cop cars.the jump was performed at fairs and such by a team with a javelin in the 70's. it does a roll durring the jump and lands flat. pretty cool

JTEN-atious
10-12-2005, 09:43 PM
Old circa 1969-70 TV show called "The Imortal" had a AMX in the intro. It was suposed to be a race car but the hood up view showed a good view of a AC pump.

I think the intro of "Streets of San Francisco" had a brief glimpse of an AMX in city traffic. Blink and you missed it.

Lifted79CJ7
10-13-2005, 11:41 AM
Waynes World.

Holeshot
12-01-2005, 08:23 PM
There was a traveling stunt show in the 70s that used Javelins & they did the "Astro-Spiral", I think they called it.

arcticboy has a web page devoted to it:
http://www.arcticboy.com/media/stuntshow/thrillshow.html

Here's a Windows Media Video (*.wmv) of it:
http://www.javelinamx.com/carstars/astrospiral.wmv

Here's a wmv of the Bond stunts:
http://www.javelinamx.com/carstars/amcbond3.wmv

CHIPS has a '71 Javelin riding behind Ponch & Jon in the intro.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1932494006.01.TZZZZZZZ.jpg

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0760304351.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpeg

Here's a site with TONS of car movies:
http://www.sd455.com/movie.htm

tarior
12-02-2005, 02:51 PM
Don't forget the Bonanza SS/AMX in an episode of CHIPS, and there is a quick glimpse of a 68 or 69 AMX in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Holeshot
12-02-2005, 05:29 PM
I'd thought I had seen all the CHiPS episodes way back when. Now I'll have to spend the next decade or so watching old reruns and hope I see that one. Thanx #-o

mrtazwrench
12-19-2005, 10:38 PM
just watched homealone 2 with the family, has a shot of a gremmy when the van with the kids' family pulls into the hotel. :mrgreen:

Gremlin4ever
12-26-2005, 07:51 AM
"Terminator"

They got away in a Gremlin :lo1l: ran it out of gas and pushed it off the road and down a hill :smile:

After being ran over by the fuel truck, the Terminator takes control of the semi and runs over another Gremlin chasing them down tring to run Sara over.

That last mentioned sceen, why couldn't they have used a Pinto intsead? It would have at least given the movie another explosion! But instead they wasted a perfectly good Gremlin :(:

Mudrat
12-26-2005, 08:03 PM
Just watched a Bond flick - the one about Zorin trying to flood the Silicon Valley - the 'Bond Girl' in this one drove an XJ.

The PIG Smith
02-01-2006, 07:18 PM
James Bond-Man with the golden gun has a hornet that does a flip/jump,a flying matador coupe and many matador cop cars.the jump was performed at fairs and such by a team with a javelin in the 70's. it does a roll durring the jump and lands flat. pretty cool
Generally speaking, the bond movies are sponsored in part by an automaker.

For example, "Diamonds are Forever" was sponsored by Ford.
If you watch that Bond film, all the cars used in the movie production were Ford products.
In Las Vegas, 007 drove a '71 Mach Mustang with the Ram Air Hood.
While I do not know this for a fact, I would bet money that is was a 429 Cobra Jet and possibly a 429 Super Cobra Jet.
Give me a big block Ford over an European Bond car anyday! WHOOHOO!

In the Bond Flick, "Live and Let Die", Chevrolet was the sponsor.
All the vehicles used in filming wore bowties.

Now, the Bond Flick, 'Man with the Golden Gun", AMC was the sponsor.
The car Bond stole from the AMC showroom floor was a Hornet.
There has been some controversy whether the Hornet was plain-jane stock, a Hornet X or was the coveted 360SC (SC=Sport Couple)
Just the thought of a Hornet 360SC gets my blood racing!!
I know what a 360 can do in a J20 4X4 3/4 ton pickup truck, just image that powerhouse in a lightweight Hornet!
OHH YESS!!! Bring on the Fords, Chevys and Mopars!!

Also, I wonder if Scaramanga's Matador was powered by a 360 or a 401?

Mudrat
02-01-2006, 08:28 PM
Generally speaking, the bond movies are sponsored in part by an automaker.
Interesting - - never made that connection!!! =D>

Gremlin4ever
02-11-2006, 08:27 PM
"Twister" = J10 :!:

Mudrat
02-11-2006, 09:19 PM
"Where's my truck?" ....

"Oh!!" :smile:

rgbjavelin
05-03-2006, 07:47 AM
There has been some controversy whether the Hornet was plain-jane stock, a Hornet X or was the coveted 360SC (SC=Sport Couple)

I believe 007's Hornet was a 1974, the SC/360 was a '71 option only. Also I think the SC stood for 'Stock Class' from Drag racing designations, like the SC/Rambler. It was definately a V8 car though, and the 360 was availible in the Hornet in '74. I put a 401 in my '77 Hornet/AMX and I agree with you on the Performance stand point whole heartedly! :t:

There was a movie that had these little two foot tall creatures, Kinda like the ones from the movie 'Gremlins'. I can't remember the name though.
Any way, they steal an AMC Gremlin (go figure!), with one steering, one on the brake pedal a another on the gas! They run this little gray haired old lady off the road. She is driving a Hot Rod 70- something Dodge Charger. Well she gets out of her wrecked car and says in a shakey,granny type voice 'I'm not gonna' take dat from no American Motors car!' I think the little critters then run her down. I loved it! The movie was called like 'Gouhlies' or something like that. Speaking of the movie 'Gremlins' though, didn't the main character kid drive an AMC too? How about the Pacer Limo called 'Mirth II' in Waynes World 2. :lo1l:

The PIG Smith
07-10-2006, 06:31 AM

I believe 007's Hornet was a 1974, the SC/360 was a '71 option only. Also I think the SC stood for 'Stock Class' from Drag racing designations, like the SC/Rambler. It was definately a V8 car though, and the 360 was availible in the Hornet in '74.

Yes, you are correct on all points about the SC/360.
Thanx for educating me on car that I thought I knew something about, but I still like very much!

Here is a pic of 007 'borrowing' a Hornet

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/parts/hornetcrashingthruglass.jpg

jeep_man_401
07-11-2006, 03:09 AM
(Just the thought of a Hornet 360SC gets my blood racing!!
I know what a 360 can do in a J20 4X4 3/4 ton pickup truck, just image that powerhouse in a lightweight Hornet!
OHH YESS!!! Bring on the Fords, Chevys and Mopars!!)

I did that one in High school. A tan 2 door. Had a 360 with dual quads 727 and a shortened 9" Ford with Wide Mickys, leaf springs relocated inside the frame rails and a fuel cell in the trunk. :lo1l:

That car hauled a-- and had a top end of around 160mph+

I'll have to post some pics. soon.

Oh and I have a few pics of my first car a rusty 76 4dr Hornet with the same 360 but I had a 2bl carb on it then...God I miss those cars... :smile:

Mudrat
07-11-2006, 06:33 AM
Update ...
Watched the movie "Stealth" lst night. They had a couple well built Jeeps at the 'secret airbase' in Alaska that got blown to crap by the EDI (the unmanned experimental stealth plane).

amckid6970
07-16-2006, 10:04 AM
I just watched Nacho Libre with Jack Black and at the beginning when he rides his trike into town he rides past an early 70 Hornet and a 67-69 American. :!: The movie is a pirated hodgie buy and the quality was bad enough that when paused I couldn't make out the year of the cars. :-|

jsack390
09-01-2006, 02:38 PM
The movie.... "Brewster McCloud" 360 powered Gremlin and chase
"The Immortal" BIG BAD BLUE 69 AMX
"Highriders" guy cuts top of 68 Javelin to make a convertable
"The Junkman" really ugly 1970 Javelin flips forward onto its top.

my all time favorite MOVIE "12:01" Rambler classic in a chase....its favorite movie due to the plot...not the rambler...HOWEVER!

There were 68 REBELS in the original "BATMAN"
There was a MARLIN in something?? might have been EDDIE AND THE CRUIZERS...not sure about that one.

Someone mentioned a CHIPS episode with a Hill racer, white AMX that blows away ponchurela who is driving a BOSS Mustang,,,the AMX had an XP hood.....anybody ever seen one of these in real life...Ive only seen one in the Javelin XP package article from 1968.........its a twin scoop hood that comes all the way to the edge of the hood like a w30 olds 442....not the BIG BAD scoops........
Jeff

AMX69PHATTY
09-01-2006, 03:37 PM
Somewhere in the movie "Heart Like a Wheel" about Shirley Muldowney,
in the background of one shot there's an AMX on a car trailer.
:?

And in a realatively new Discovery Channel documentery "Rebuilding a Race Car Legend, the 2005 Ford GT"
about the 18 month development program of the new Ford GT-40, there's footage of one of the project engineers
doing a few big nasty smokey burnouts in the parking lot in his Big Bad Orange AMX
while the narration is talking about the Ford GT project "Launch".

:lo1l: :? :lo1l: :? :lo1l:

401-69AMX
07-12-2008, 06:07 PM
Anybody seen 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas'? Great flick if you ask me, and near the beginning, right before he mentions the corvette maco shark that hit a pedestrian, they pass a brown AMX. Real quick buy unmistakable.

Mudrat
07-16-2008, 10:04 PM
Jeez, I forgot about this thread!! There were a couple movies I watched in Japanese over here that had AMC's, other than Jeeps - One had a white and red AMX in front of a bank somewhere, and one had a brown Hornet doing a drive by. Have no clue what the movies were - no habla the local lingo :smile:

eMMe
10-02-2008, 06:58 AM
Escape from the Planet of the Apes has a M422 Mighty Mite almost getting hit by an FSJ Wagoneer.

Pictures in this thread....
http://www.orlandojeepchat.com/vB/showthread.php?t=3102&highlight=apes

mrtazwrench
10-02-2008, 06:49 PM
I was watching the AMC, I know, stands for american movie classics, series breaking bad, one eppisode the main characters wife is driving a grand wag.

tarior
10-02-2008, 07:30 PM
I was watching the AMC, I know, stands for american movie classics, series breaking bad, one eppisode the main characters wife is driving a grand wag.

I dig that show, I hope there will be another season.

Migzilla
12-02-2008, 06:39 PM
Check out police academy 1 matadors up the wazoo and ramber it I think. Some movie I think bad girls or some teenie movie had a humpster in it that one of the girls drives.

Bulltear Ad